Light switch and earthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently brought a new touch switch with a remote control function on it. I wired it into the old switch point which is a plastic one (plasterboard walls). I correctly earthed it for this, putting the sleaved earth directly into the switch earthing point.
The switch worked fine but I became conscious that the button, although not the metal around it to which the earth was connected, gave the slightest of tingles when I touched it. Worried by this I tried it in three other locations (including the switch closest to the distribution board) but got the same effect. I checked the earth cables in the light fittings but none seemed loose (although this was far from a thorough check.
For the mean time I have gone back to plastic but it left me wondering whether this was how these touch switches worked (through a very small amount of current passed through the person) or whether I have an earthing problem on the circuit.
What do people know or think?

Sponsored Links
You need a multimeter to check the supply to the switches and continuity of the cpc.

They work by detecting capacitance. Whatever that is. :LOL:

I had one of these switches, but it was plastic surround, and i never got a tingle or anything off it.

A multimeter may be handy to diagnose the problem.

Assuming its a varilight, try emailing them.

Sponsored Links
Some work by capacitance, others are much simpler.

The Varilight ones for example actually just have a couple of 2M ohm resistors in series with the button. The button is actually at mains potential if you put a meter between it and the faceplate.

So getting a tingle off them is pretty normal. The OP said he wasn't getting a tingle from the faceplate, just the button.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back