Loft conversion interstitial condensation problem

it's not a habitable living space (loft conversion) so it doesn't need to be plasterboarded

if at some future point you decide to convert it, it would have to be done properly, so the old plasterboard would be removed.

Currently you have a damp problem and need to strip out the roof slope lining

Sponsored Links
OOI, I can see the photos today, but they didn't show earlier.

The surveyor may have been very concerned about a non-compliant partial conversion built without approval. These can be a minefield and expensive to restore or bring up to standard. Stripping off the plasterboard will expose the roof timbers and show if they have been incorrectly cut.

If there are no fixed stairs, it is not considered a conversion. You can have lights, sockets and a floor in a storage loft if you want. I don't think plasterboard matters, although in this case it is probably related to the damp spots, whether they were caused by leaks or condensation, so I favour removing it and the rafter insulation to see what's going on..
De-conversion is more onerous. The LA will want it made into such a state that it is not just a token effort and can't be subsequently used as a room. So plasterboard, and electric circuits (bar one light point) are not acceptable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back