Loft Insulation Best Method + Soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

I am converting my attic currently and am also soundproofing it. I have a question regarding the proper method of insulation as I'm worried I may create a mositure problem trying to both insulate and soundproof it.

I will be using the area behind both purlins for storage and would like this area insulated to keep it warm and help prevent mold on the stored items.

I have 5x2 rafters and the plan is 50mm airgap with 75mm Rockwool RW3 between them. Then counter batten and add 50mm Metac. In the storage void behind the queen post, I will simply put 12.5mm fire line board over the Metac and then airtight membrane.

In the ceiling area of room, I will add MLV on top of the 12.5mm plasterboard and then add 50mm insulated plasterboard over it.

I wonder can I also add 75mm RW3 to the queen post too for soundproofing? I'm worried that because the storage area will have insulation on all 3 sides (roof, floor and queen post/knee wall) that this may cause moisture problems.

My reason of adding Rockwool to the knee wall is to prevent noise coming from the void as a school is being built behind us. I'm referring to the areas in green in the picture but I will also be insulating the red area. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20241019_003001.jpg
    IMG_20241019_003001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 1
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back