Log splitting maul recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive gone through two Roughneck Splitting Mauls (8lb) now, both times the head has snapped off from the fibre shaft.

Im chopping some pretty large diamter logs 40-50cm . Im thinking about a Fiskars instead?

Was looking at this one anyone used or recommend?

Sponsored Links
Did you like the shape of the roughneck mauls? Have you thought about replacing the handles?

Did you like the shape of the roughneck mauls? Have you thought about replacing the handles?

Not really just what was available at screwfix at the time. No way can i just replace as the fibre shaft has snapped with all the fibre still sealed in the head. Im not up for attempting to source a shaft to fix the head etc.

OK for anyone interested i tracked down one of these, im very excited about recieving it actually.

Sponsored Links
Hultafors do a wooden handled splitting axe. I admit I don't own one, but I do have a couple of their forged pry (wrecking) bars and they are absolutely the best product in class, the best conventional wrecking bars I have ever owned. If the axes are in the same league (and reviews seem to infer they are) then they will be superb. The downside of Hultafors stuff is unfortunately the price!

Not really just what was available at screwfix at the time. No way can i just replace as the fibre shaft has snapped with all the fibre still sealed in the head. Im not up for attempting to source a shaft to fix the head etc.
You can replace fibreglass handles, with wood is fairly easy, new fibreglass is possible too.
But there's no point if the head is a rubbish shape anyway!

A decent local tool/hardware shop should stock wooden handles for sledgehammers, mauls, axes, spades etc.

Wood handles are nicer to use than fibreglass etc, but don't tend to last as long

Update the thread with how you get on with the new fiskars

Charlie DIYte has done a recent video on youtube about log splitting using a selection of mauls, axes and a hydraulic splitter.

I have a gransfors bruks maul

Was a birthday gift. Brilliant.

I've "wrapped" the top of my axe wooden handle with steel wire.
20 years later is still there, unmarked.
Admittedly, I don't chop as much wood as before nowadays, but I have lent this axe to many friends and nobody managed to break the handle.

I used to spend an hour os so most Sundays splitting logs. As a result, I used to keep and old axe heads and use them as a splitting wedge, which can be used with a club or a sledgehammer.
If you try to hit the log bang on and not overshoot so that the shaft hits the log, axes will last a lot longer.

If you try to hit the log bang on and not overshoot so that the shaft hits the log, axes will last a lot longer.
Easy to say, but in reality there will always be some less precise swings.
Hence my solution to wrap a steel wire on the part of the handle closer to the head, so to form a collar.

I never really got the hang of splitting logs and have been burning them for six years now. My solution has been to use a hand axe by placing the bladed side onto the top of a log and then coming down on it with a lump hammer. The Screwfix axe I'd been using has just failed after all this time (through the repeated stress of the lump hammer) so time for a new one.

I didn't know that an axe is not the best tool to split logs - it gets jammed and stuck too easily. A maul has a different head profile and it does not have a sharp edge, by design.

Axes are for cutting across wood grain if you are chopping down a tree; mauls are for splitting the logs apart along the grain.

Yes it has a wider and heavier head.

Rarely had any problems getting through timber though with my axe. The head is about 1" across at its widest point which manages to split nearly all the logs I work with (apart from the knotty/gnarly ones). I also burn a long of hardwood and softwood off-cuts from local furniture factories which are easy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back