Log splitting maul recommendations

I didn't know that an axe is not the best tool to split logs - it gets jammed and stuck too easily. A maul has a different head profile and it does not have a sharp edge, by design.

Axes are for cutting across wood grain if you are chopping down a tree; mauls are for splitting the logs apart along the grain.
Not in my experience.
I've been splitting logs all my life using an axe and unless you're trying to split a 30 inches wide log, it doesn't jam.
It's all in the swing and using the tool correctly.
Wet logs should not be split, it's hard work.

Sponsored Links
I am glad i started this thread now, always fascinates me other peoples experience here and your very well observed opinions on chopping wood. I will actually share mine, as i too have spent the last 5 years now chopping wood for our home. The driver of course is for 'money saving' on oil as our only alternative here, and our log burner has a back boiler in what i call a hybrid heating system for our home, thats another story. I also have to hand alot of free wood due to local tree surgeon donations and being the owner of many ash trees suffering die-back.

I will of course post some pics of my new Fiskars Maul when it arrives, in the meantime my findings on processing my wood for the following season.

My Tools
What started off with just a lowly large axe has somewhat transformed into a small scale wood processing facility. As above i quoted 'money saving' as of course whilst we can save money on buying oil there is the trade off, time spent chopping the wood in the first place. Whilst it certainly does bring me a considerable enjoyment i still can fritter away hours, or more if i am not working smart, which would then cause me to question how much benefit aside from 'enjoyment' gained, against time wasted.

Stage 1 Processing wood into lengths.

Chainsaw
Whilst most of my wood comes from my own woodland i normally have the tree surgeons log up only the bigger stuff. I normally chop the rest, for this i have a Stihl MS261 to get the medium stuff to manageable sizes. I used to have an MS181 and MS231, but found i the 261 much better, light enough for heavy work as well as small. The 261 was my goto for woodland work and logging up at my woodstore but not anymore.

I have since purchased an el cheapo electric chainsaw from Screwfix for £50. And i have to say i love it, for such a cheap price it chops through medium logs well, and of course it's instant, no starting revving or excess noise not that i need to be quiet, its just convenient to pickup and cut. I also don't have to worry about locking it away so much as the Stihl.

I keep both sharpened with a cheap electric disc chainsaw sharpener from Amazon.

Mitre Saw
I also aquired a Dewalt Mitre saw, i use this to chopup the kindling and smaller branches etc as this of course is quicker than the chainsaw in some instances.

Stage 2 Splitting cut lengths

Log Splitter

I acquired an old 4ton hydraulic log splitter a few years back, jammed up didn't work. Turns out the previous attempt at repairs they had removed the gasket from the cover house the pump gears, which in turned made them bind. Quick clean up, new gasket and hydraulic oil refill been good to me ever since. I use the log splitter to split the smaller logs and the knotted sections that just dont split easy with my maul, i find you can pick out the grain lines easier with the log splitter , breaking down a complex knotted section till it starts to pull apart. If i had endless money id opt for a vertical 10+ton splitter where you can just slide in the large tree sections etc and break them down easily, this as you may be aware can be labour intensive at times even with a good maul, trying to find the weakness in large logged section esp where the grain is irregular due to branches, can be tiring.

Kindling
I used to spend alof of time with a kindling axe wondering when may be the day i cut a finger off or more. Nowadays i have flipped to a kindling blade and small club hammer, therefore mitigating somewhat the risk by driving the wood against the static blade.

Storing.
All wood is stacked in wood store on pallets for at least 7/8months.

Happy to post pics of tools etc if interested, i also welcome other peoples thoughts or experiences here on how they process their wood.

Last edited:
I am glad i started this thread now, always fascinates me other peoples experience here and your very well observed opinions on chopping wood. I will actually share mine, as i too have spent the last 5 years now chopping wood for our home. The driver of course is for 'money saving' on oil as our only alternative here, and our log burner has a back boiler in what i call a hybrid heating system for our home, thats another story.

I will of course post some pics of my new Fiskars Maul when it arrives, in the meantime my findings on processing my wood for the following season.

My Tools
What started off with just a lowly large axe has somewhat transformed into a small scale wood processing facility. As above i quoted 'money saving' as of course whilst we can save money on buying oil there is the trade off, time spent chopping the wood in the first place. Whilst it certainly does bring me a considerable enjoyment i still can fritter away hours, or more if i am not working smart, which would then cause me to question how much benefit aside from 'enjoyment' gained, against time wasted.

Stage 1 Processing wood into lengths.

Chainsaw
Whilst most of my wood comes from my own woodland i normally have the tree surgeons log up only the bigger stuff. I normally chop the rest, for this i have a Stihl MS261 to get the medium stuff to manageable sizes. I used to have an MS181 and MS231, but found i the 261 much better, light enough for heavy work as well as small. The 261 was my goto for woodland work and logging up at my woodstore but not anymore.

I have since purchased an el cheapo electric chainsaw from Screwfix for £50. And i have to say i love it, for such a cheap price it chops through medium logs well, and of course it's instant, no starting revving or excess noise not that i need to be quiet, its just convenient to pickup and cut. I also don't have to worry about locking it away so much as the Stihl.

I keep both sharpened with a cheap electric disc chainsaw sharpener from Amazon.

Mitre Saw
I also aquired a Dewalt Mitre saw, i use this to chopup the kindling and smaller branches etc as this of course is quicker than the chainsaw in some instances.

Stage 2 Splitting cut lengths

Log Splitter

I acquired an old 4ton hydraulic log splitter a few years back, jammed up didn't work. Turns out the previous attempt at repairs they had removed the gasket from the cover house the pump gears, which in turned made them bind. Quick clean up, new gasket and hydraulic oil refill been good to me ever since. I use the log splitter to split the smaller logs and the knotted sections that just dont split easy with my maul, i find you can pick out the grain lines easier with the log splitter , breaking down a complex knotted section till it starts to pull apart. If i had endless money id opt for a vertical 10+ton splitter where you can just slide in the large tree sections etc and break them down easily, this as you may be aware can be labour intensive at times even with a good maul, trying to find the weakness in large logged section esp where the grain is irregular due to branches, can be tiring.

Kindling
I used to spend alof of time with a kindling axe wondering when may be the day i cut a finger off or more. Nowadays i have flipped to a kindling blade and small club hammer, therefore mitigating somewhat the risk by driving the wood against the static blade.

Storing.
All wood is stacked in wood store on pallets for at least 7/8months.

Happy to post pics of tools etc if interested, i also welcome other peoples thoughts or experiences here on how they process their wood.
All good.
For kindling I go in the woods with the kids and let them collect small pieces of wood.
I leave them to dry in jute sacks hung in the shed.

Ok im so excited my Fiskars Logging Maul is arriving today. Will share some pics when it arrives and my thoughts on how it compares to my oldish Maul which ive gone through two of them now, both times the fibre shaft splintered near the head. Ok maybe my aim has been a bit crap as times but still, they should last years. I have a feeling this one will. Well it better be because it cost over £100 with Pnp..

Sponsored Links
Ok it arrived. Wow blows the **** out of my previous Maul. Slightly heavier but effortless drive through some heavy stuff, and more importantly way less shock through the shaft when chopping. May cost 3 times more but this feels like a Rolls Royce in comparison.

Attachments

• 20230217_144600.jpg
    20230217_144600.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 52
I found this today.
Looks like a very good idea, but I wonder if it really works...

I found this today.
Looks like a very good idea, but I wonder if it really works...

Omg no there's a reason why it's reduced. Id like to see it split one decent sized log.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back