Looped supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone tell me if this is a looped supply? Looking at having an electric car charger installed.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    186.4 KB · Views: 147
Sponsored Links
I can clearly see two cables - the vertical one that is probably the feed in from the street and the other that looks like SWA exiting from the bottom of the cutout, which could well be a loop out to your neighbour. Can you get to look at your neighbour's cutout and meter?

Sponsored Links
Is there any other property nearby that could have had its own electricity service added at a laster late (90s possibly) such as:

Masonette with separate flat upstairs
Granny annex with separate elec board supply
Part of garden sold off to build another property

You've got the original incomming mains cable coming striaght up into the bottom of the cutout which is likely the original 1930s cable (cutout has been changed though) but hanging in front of that is a more modern black cable which appears to go into the cutout which seems to have been added after. Its also unsual in that its SWA which is unusual for the supply industrial, almost like its been laid in by someone else and then the DNO has actually connected it, rather than kick up a fuss about it not being to their spec

Is there any other property nearby that could have had its own electricity service added at a laster late (90s possibly) such as:

Masonette with separate flat upstairs
Granny annex with separate elec board supply
Part of garden sold off to build another property

You've got the original incomming mains cable coming striaght up into the bottom of the cutout which is likely the original 1930s cable (cutout has been changed though) but hanging in front of that is a more modern black cable which appears to go into the cutout which seems to have been added after. Its also unsual in that its SWA which is unusual for the supply industrial, almost like its been laid in by someone else and then the DNO has actually connected it, rather than kick up a fuss about it not being to their spec
It’s me and a neighbour, semi detatched

I think the next thing you could do with doing is trying to get a picture of the neighbours incomming supply. It would be a little strange for that SWA to feed them - I should imagine that is a 1930s property as well? But I suppose their could have been an issue with the supply cable at some point and a 'fix' has been done!

Think there is a full stop missing? But yes, you must ask the DNO before installing an EV charging point, so I am told, however I have never asked the DNO before plugging in my e-bikes, and I would not think anyone would expect me to, so would think there is something missing, like how big the charging point is? Would I really need to ask the DNO to charge a Citroën AMI? Or a granny charger, maybe I am wrong?

I do see the problems with any electrical class I equipment used outdoors, so outside the equalpotential area. But this has nothing to do with looped supplies, this is all about the TN-C-S system.

I looked at the form, it does show maximum, but does not show minium, so maybe I should complete the form for an e-bike?

But yes, you must ask the DNO before installing an EV charging point, so I am told,

This is what the applications look like. There are two outcomes - Connect & Notify which means you can go ahead and install the EVSE, and Load Check which requires that they do further investigation as to capacity on that part of the network and will advise later on whether connection can go ahead or if further work is required. Things like a looped supply will require additional work before the EVSE can be used. Sometimes it may be possible to install the EVSE but only use it with a limited current such as 16A until upgrades are completed.

Heat pumps use a similar process.

Granny leads and similar plug in charger devices are not included, as all of those should be limited to 10A maximum, and are no different to any other plug in appliance limited to 13A.

LCT2.png

LCT1.png

Granny leads and similar plug in charger devices are not included, as all of those should be limited to 10A maximum, and are no different to any other plug in appliance limited to 13A.
That's what I thought would be the case, it makes sense, so the likes of the Citroën AMI can be charged without a problem, not that I would want a quad limited to 28 MPH, they are not classed as a car.

Its also unsual in that its SWA
other that looks like SWA
Much more likely that it’s split concentric cable rather than SWA.

It’s me and a neighbour, semi detatched
I also live in a 1930s semi and we have a split concentric cable which disappears under the floorboards and goes towards the party wall. I know it’s split concentric as I’ve seen inside my cutout when the meter has been changed and there are three sets of conductors, with no armour.

I suspect my neighbours have something that looks very similar to your arrangement going on.

Very likely that is a looped supply and the main cable on the right is supplying both you and your neighbour.

Edit to add: oddly, we also have a 100A fuse in the cutout, despite clearly being on a loop. I got the guy to show it to me when he swapped cutout.

I suspect that if I applied for an EV charger they’d still want to unloop us though, despite already having a 100A fuse.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back