Low gas pressure?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had the service and the engineer said the working pressure is too low. When running at maximum, the pressure at the boiler is 17.5mbar. Pressure at the meter is 17.75mbar.

Standing pressure is 23.5 at meter and 23 at the boiler.

So I fished out the manual for the boiler and it says both standing and working pressure must be at least 20mbar. That doesn't make much sense to me as surely if the standing pressure is 20 then full whack working pressure would be lower than that?

Anyway, is this an issue for the boiler warranty or an issue for the gas supply? There are no other gas appliances like a cooker in use.

Boiler appears to runs fine and hasn't been permanently disconnected at the service but still a bit of a worry.

Sponsored Links
All down to pipe sizing, the supply pipework needs to be of a suitable size to deliver enough gas (m3) to sustain the boiler under full load, if it isn't then the gas supply pipe may not be large enough.

17.75 at the meter isn’t the best anyway, so might be worth getting that looked at first. The new recommended is 18.5 mbar, but we were always taught 21mbar +/- 2 mbar, so 19 to 23.

Sponsored Links
Had the service and the engineer said the working pressure is too low. When running at maximum, the pressure at the boiler is 17.5mbar. Pressure at the meter is 17.75mbar.

Standing pressure is 23.5 at meter and 23 at the boiler.

So I fished out the manual for the boiler and it says both standing and working pressure must be at least 20mbar. That doesn't make much sense to me as surely if the standing pressure is 20 then full whack working pressure would be lower than that?

Anyway, is this an issue for the boiler warranty or an issue for the gas supply? There are no other gas appliances like a cooker in use.

Boiler appears to runs fine and hasn't been permanently disconnected at the service but still a bit of a worry.
As others have said, it sounds like the problem is with the gas meter, so if it's fixed for free, great.

But it sounds like the boiler is working OK with the present setup. And with allowed 1 mb pipe pressure drop it could be 18 mb at the boiler. My boiler manual also says 20 mb needed. I wonder whether either they haven't put much thought into it and just quote the nominal figure, or state 20 mb so maybe having a get-out in the event of a problem (probably unrelated to supply pressure).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back