LVT onto floating floor

Sponsored Links
Finally started to attempt this with one room down have some further questions to ensure this is correct:

- I'm using a light weight nail gun this is 18 gauge nails at 50mm, would these be strong enough? Or should I go and invest in something more heavy duty?
- When cutting the 6mm ply is there an easier way than using a track saw, it's a full on effort to get the board propped when its so bendy.
- Is feathering in required if I'm going to be adding a layer of 2mm screed over the top of this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
50mm nails ? For 6mm plywood ? Should be 19mm. Also make sure they are ring shanks

Screw down, a pin gun will bury the heads 2-3 mm leaving very little to secure ply. I would glue as well .

50mm nails ? For 6mm plywood ? Should be 19mm. Also make sure they are ring shanks

Brad nails, these specifically:

Screw down, a pin gun will bury the heads 2-3 mm leaving very little to secure ply. I would glue as well .

Would be a lot of screws, these sit flush but take this into account, will add glue and a couple of screws.

Screw guns are a thing, btw; never pass up an opportunity to buy more tools :)

1725948359429.png

Flooring ones exist too, but dare say that a compact one would be more versatile

Any further thoughts on:

- When cutting the 6mm ply is there an easier way than using a track saw, it's a full on effort to get the board propped when its so bendy.
- Is feathering in required if I'm going to be adding a layer of 2mm screed over the top of this?

Jigsaw to cut it or we use a exact saw
No feather and 2mm screed is to thin. Needs to be 3-6mm thick. We always go approx 4-5mm

Dazlight how would you measure say 4mm? Is it just done from the math, working out the amount required then flowing it around the room?

Another random thought, how do you join up to say a carpet? Do you put some kind of wooden stopper for the next room to stop the screed flow and providing a build up?

My issue is that I have 6mm ply, then I'm not using ply on the extension as this already has a level solid base up to my old subfloor (I should of originally gone up another 6mm for the ply but not yet laid). For this it's now required I raise up to 6mm with screed, then 4mm screed for the whole lot in one go, any alternatives as it's quite a large area.

You can use a pin leveller. I use a screeding trowel. Every bag we mix goes 3m2 ish so I know it’s about right.

We use carpet underlay and spray it to the floor or sand to block it.
If high we use plywood and silicone

You can use a pin leveller. I use a screeding trowel. Every bag we mix goes 3m2 ish so I know it’s about right.

We use carpet underlay and spray it to the floor or sand to block it.
If high we use plywood and silicone

Thanks Dazlight, didn't know such tool existed, going to invest.

New thoughts and would appreciate further feedback on the project. I've worked that if I 6mm ply the whole 22m2 (subfloor) and as dazlight pointed out screed 4-5mm ontop of this, I'd then need to screed 6mm + 4-5mm on the 24m2 concrete extension floor, meaning something around the £800 mark just for levelling screed.

Suddenly this is amounting to a huge amount. Without cutting corners, I'm looking at the current wooden subfloor it's tongue and groove plywood it doesn't move only at the x2 door threshold part where there is no tongue and groove. I'm rethinking if the plywood is a good idea or not, or if there is another way here. The floor doesn't move only when say the washing machine is on vibrating most of that area.

Can I cut and remove the thresholds that are not using tongue and groove and replace with sand/screed? My idea here is to go without the 6mm plywood altogether providing a huge cost saving on self levelling screed, again without cutting corners would like to know others thoughts.

Couple of pictures however understand that someone would need to view this in person to get a feel for the work required.

Where extension meets subfloor:

1726311444592.png

Door threshold movement:

1726311462190.png

Ply wood on subfloor:

1726311479386.png

I'll be laying Karndean herringbone if that makes a difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back