Main earth connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
Just trying to tidy these earth cables as they seem to be all over the place and not very secure.

There is a 4 way earth block near the cutout that connects the main supply earth wire so thats where 2 wires in the picture feed down to.

Currently setup as following...
Gas pipe bonding cable going down to the earth block.
Mains water pipe earth bonding is fed to the consumer unit....not sure why.
Consumer unit earth cable connects to the earth block.

1. Can I fit a green 5 way block as shown in the picture. Feed the CU earth and both bonding cables and then take a wire from the block to the earth block below.
2. If thats not an option can I use a single earth cable to link the water and gap pipe and feed to the earth block.

But I am open to suggestions :)

Aprreciate any input :)

Attachments

• New earth.jpeg
    New earth.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 178
Sponsored Links
That is a bit of a mess,

The main earth from the incoming supply must be 16mm and that could go to a new block, then on to the CU.

The equipotential bonding to the water needs to be 10mm, and can be 2 pieces of cable or 1 continuous going to the incoming gas and water

As long as everything is connected together, it doesn't really matter.

Could you not just tidy the wiring for a similarly pleasing effect?

That is a bit of a mess,

The main earth from the incoming supply must be 16mm and that could go to a new block, then on to the CU.

The equipotential bonding to the water needs to be 10mm, and can be 2 pieces of cable or 1 continuous going to the incoming gas and water
Appreciate your reply.
It was even more mess until I changed the old meter tails with new flexi tails.
Currently all the earth cables are 16mm. If the new block option is on the table i shall do that and leave the cables as 16mm

Sponsored Links
As long as everything is connected together, it doesn't really matter.

Could you not just tidy the wiring for a similarly pleasing effect?
Appreciate your reply.
Just a minimal tidy up..some cables are extra long and hanging

Out of interest why are the labels upside down on the CU lid?

Any chance of a photo with the CU flap open?

Out of interest why are the labels upside down on the CU lid?

Any chance of a photo with the CU flap open?
I think the sparky must have attached the labels while the cover was off and got confused which side up.

It's appallingly bad!

Are the tails going through different holes or is it a stuffing gland? Is the Board Metal?

It's appallingly bad!

Are the tails going through different holes or is it a stuffing gland? Is the Board Metal?
Actually it's more like pathetic. It was done 18 years ago. I was young and just bought the house and had the property gutted and rewired same time.
It's a plastic board with square knockouts so not possible to fit cable glands.

I suspect the board isn’t against the wall and all the cables enter through the rear
The board is against the wall...most of the cables enter at top and some at the bottom.
No cables from rear

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back