Main Supply fuse

Seemed the results I got from TLC's calculator were just on the cusp so I decided to go with 16mm though I would rather have gone for 10mm and not had the anaconda wrestling match I will have with the 16mm.
I take it you checked that the 10.5kW rating of the shower is at 230V, not 240V, and that you haven't in fact got an appliance which will only draw 42A at 230V?

Sponsored Links
It seems Amy has her head screwed on the right way.

She looked it up on TLC's website and found it was borderline for her circumstances, in particular with reference to the effect of the loft insulation on the cable's ability to dissipate the heat it will produce.

I'd much rather have used 10mm but I wasn't going to take the risk.
10k5 at 240, 9k6 at 230 and 43.75A as I recall

Sponsored Links
Protective Multiple earth notice - so TN-C-S?
Service Head
Main Cutout detail
CU
Unused way, Fused unused. Downstairs Lighting, Upstairs Lighting, Sockets, Cooker
Incoming Gas bonding

Spoken to EDF who think the main Cutout is 60A because that's what it usually is!

Can arrange to have upgrade to 100A or possibly 80A. All a bit vague. But network services line constantly busy, Hope eventually to speak to a real company electrician who has actual details of installation and services offered.

Still working on the spreadsheet for likely loads in addition to new shower.

I wouldn't worry too much about the service fuse rating, a 60A BS1361 will take a LONG time to blow at 100A

It seems Amy has her head screwed on the right way.

She looked it up on TLC's website and found it was borderline for her circumstances, in particular with reference to the effect of the loft insulation on the cable's ability to dissipate the heat it will produce.
Indeed - I was just wondering, as it was borderline, if it was because she'd assumed a 46A load and not a 42A one...

I think it's time for a CU upgrade too..

60A max load on that one..

RCD protection needed

is there a bond to the water that we can't see there?

Bond to incoming water goes through wall and ceiling void and down to incoming water in kitchen. picture coming soon.

Cu is going to be split load unit like this:

TLC Says:
230v 9K6W 5m run under more than 100mm insulation above plasterboard (even at 25 degrees C)
Required Cable Size 16 mm
Voltage Drop 0.584 Volts.
Percentage Drop 0.25%
Current Load 41.7 Amps
Max Cable Load* 47.4 Amps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back