Making solid and making good cavity wall

So long as the steels are sitting on 100mm+ of masonry, directly under the bearing point and for say 3 courses, then the rest of the masonry below could be made good (sympathetically) without any ill effects.

There should be 150mm bearing, no?
Yes; BR’s require 150mm each side.

Some of the weight will be transferred inwards.
the issues of direct shear will not be as pressing lower down so chisel out bad bricks and mortar new ones back in.
I agree but that’s been pretty well undercut; the requirement for a 150mm bearing is intended to provide a safety margin but if I’m right & that’s only sitting on a couple of inches or so then I am concerned; & if what’s left of the wall is actually adequately tied back into the adjacent wall :confused:

I’d be very surprised if cutting a 3m opening in 4m of structural wall would not require submission of calcs. & any self respecting BI would have a fit if they saw that; depending on the load, it may even need some pad stones in there. What’s the other side like?

Seriously I would be looking to prop that again in the interim while I cut all that crap back & build a decent pier support back in there.

:idea: Next time you intend to "bash out" masonry, be sure to stitch drill the cutting line beforehand. :idea:
Exactly; or even better, use a MF diamond wheel cutter. I’ve been reading some of the archive posts & I think we may have a case of DIY or bust & bugger the Regs.

Sponsored Links
we may have a case of DIY or bust & b*****r the Regs.

Really Richard....

but if I’m right & that’s only sitting on a couple of inches

Your not.

My wife's uncle is a builder and has been for 30 years so he has supervised the lintel job and done the block work around the top. I made a hash of the bottom of the wall and don't really want to inform him.
:oops:

I have rang another family builder who is going to sort it out as contrary to some I do know my limits and I want it to be safe.

Really Richard....Your not.
That’s my honest opinion but I don’t mind you proving me wrong :LOL: why did you not answer my question about the bearing from my previous post?
My wife's uncle is a builder and has been for 30 years so he has supervised the lintel job and done the block work around the top. I made a hash of the bottom of the wall and don't really want to inform him. :oops:
The fact he’s been a builder for 30 years doesn’t mean anything, neither does the fact he’s supervised the lintel installation. With the amount of incompetence around these days, that doesn’t mean anything; iIt’s your LABC’s supervision & decision that make’s the difference & it's they who will certify the work as compliant. You still haven’t said if you actually made a BN submission or if a BI has inspected & passed it!

I have rang another family builder who is going to sort it out as contrary to some I do know my limits and I want it to be safe.
Again, that’s of no consequence. I also want you to be safe & that’s the purpose of my posts & I really don’t want your house to fall down but if you won’t give truthful answers or are going to kick me in the balls then I wont bother.

All me quotes are shot but me dinner is ready & bugger it anyway, I can't be bothered :rolleyes:

Finished me dinner, quotes sorted ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back