Mortar Mix vs Cement Mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just discovered some damage in the upper chimney (no fireplaces anymore btw). Is CementOne kind of formula better for these repairs then standard mortar ? Cheers

IMG_4894.jpg

Sponsored Links
I believe it's CemenTone, having originally got its name from being a dye used to tint the colour of mortar to match existing or to suit the bricks used. It's now a brand for many things mortar related. Which particular product were you thinking of?

I believe it's CemenTone, having originally got its name from being a dye used to tint the colour of mortar to match existing or to suit the bricks used. It's now a brand for many things mortar related. Which particular product were you thinking of?
Thanks, I often use this one, is it suitable ?
There's also repair mix at Wickes but it says non-structural:
Or maybe this one ?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Use a sulphate resistant cement. 4:1 or 5:1 will be fine.
Hi, sorry to bother you but I saw you recommend the sulphate resistant cements ... they don't seem to be stocked around here at Screwfix, Toolstation, Wickes, Jewson, Chandlers etc...
Is there an alternative, or admix I can use, or do you have any advice ?
Thanks

You can pick up 2.5kg and 6kg repair bags of pre-mixed sand and cement from builders or plumbing suppliers. You add a little water to suit the mix.

You need to clear up & sort the rubble & bricks piled up in front of the chimney breast in your loft.
From left to right & bottom to top all the missing bricks need replacing. All gaps need filling.

The corbelled bricks you can see thro the hole are possibly a broken flue feather - the feather separates the flues in the c/breast - the feather must also be re-built.

Does the "no fireplaces" mean the c/breasts have been removed - or the fireplaces are blocked off - or the fireplaces are open but no longer used?

You can pick up 2.5kg and 6kg repair bags of pre-mixed sand and cement from builders or plumbing suppliers. You add a little water to suit the mix.

You need to clear up & sort the rubble & bricks piled up in front of the chimney breast in your loft.
From left to right & bottom to top all the missing bricks need replacing. All gaps need filling.

The corbelled bricks you can see thro the hole are possibly a broken flue feather - the feather separates the flues in the c/breast - the feather must also be re-built.

Does the "no fireplaces" mean the c/breasts have been removed - or the fireplaces are blocked off - or the fireplaces are open but no longer used?

Hi, thanks for that. All fireplaces sealed all pots covered, breasts still in place on all floors; haven't been used for years.
The plan I had was to repoint the wall over several days, starting with the far sides and solid areas and after that put a screed of 1cm on top creating a jacket, eventually covering the whole breast. In some places the courses are powdered so I would scrape out 1/3 width 3 cm.
Leaving till last the looser areas top left and the hole in the middle.
I was also going to repoint the inside through the hole best as I can.
There is a 2nd feather intact to the left within (cant see it in the photos).
As for the possible feather visible through the hole - the bricks end cleanly and undamaged perhaps they are not a feather. But I can bridge them to the front. The fireplaces won't be used again I don't think.
Does that sound reasonable ?
Photos of the top (notice cowl on the front possibly letting in water from and back):
thanks
t2.jpg

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
1. Flues should be vented at the bottom and at the top for thro ventilation.
2. Do the Render/(screed) after all repairs are finished.
3. No need to point inside the flue(s).
4. The hole in the chimney pot could be covered by building up the sand & cement flaunching. As it stands, it could be letting in water to enter the flue?
5. The shared chimney stack shows five pots so you will have five flues and five fireplaces - & four feathers.
6. All redundant chimney pots should have ventilation cowl inserts.
7. Fumes from any future re-used fireplace passing from one flue to another flue could be dangerous - flues must stay intact to protect you and any future householder.

As pointed out on your other thread, the front flue has been capped with a hood top cowl (and a bit of wind blown rain entering that won't hurt) - your photo is fooling people into thinking there's a hole in the second pot. It does appear that the back of the cowl has been blocked by the flaunching but if the chimney breast isn't damp it must be functioning effectively enough.

Screenshot_20230422-074354-136.png

Screenshot_20230422-080658~2.png

The chimneys have clearly had some "work" in the past and the internal deterioration could well pre date that.

I would repoint and replace the missing bricks as you propose, the ready mixed stuff will be fine, I wouldn't render anything. In the extremely unlikely event that the fireplaces are used against, the recommissioning work would identify any issues.

5. You claim that its "extremely unlikely event that the fireplaces are used again" - thats a dangerous & unknowable claim to make. How would you know what the next householders will do?
6. You say "recommissioning work would identify any issues" - thats an even more bizarre claim to make.

Last edited:
Ref Post #12 above:

1. Its not a flue - its a chimney pot.
2. The first pic in Post #10 shows the pots from the OP's side - pots are counted/identified on the same side from the first RH pot ie the one with the hole in the base.
3. You have wrongly been identifying pots as cowls and claim the OP's first pot has a "hood top cowl" - no it doesn't. If anything it has a cap.
4. The second pic in Post #10 also shows the OP's side of the shared stack. You dont appear to know which side of the stack you are seeing.
5. You claim that its "extremely unlikely event that the fireplaces are used again" - thats a dangerous & unknowable claim to make. How would you know what the next householders will do?
6. You say "recommissioning work would identify any issues" - thats an even more bizarre claim to make.

You have given advice in other historical threads but perhaps its best for you not to comment on things you know nothing about.

The first pot is missing and has been replaced with a hood top cowl to ventilate the flue. I can't be bothered correcting the rest of your confused nonsense. Given that the days of open solid fuel fires are pretty much over due to environmental concerns it's unlikely they would be used, but if they were, anyone doing so without satisfying themselves as to the suitability of the chimneys would have to be as stupid as you.

I'll go up next week and take another look.
There is some damp 2 small areas one showing at the top of the wall below. Last summer I was on the roof and hacked out a 0.5m thin crack on the crown and a hole in the ridge tiles left by an aerial cable that must have been letting in lots.
It's improved the dampness, but still some coming in. When I was up there it appeared that around the pots there might be a slight gap to the surrounding render not sure if that's shrinkage, I would put a bit of mortar round the pots and extend the front of the first cowl/cap and anything else I see, maybe some repointing especially at the join of the crown and bricks.
See if I can get someone local in to take a look as well but I was given 3 months lead time from a company yesterday so I will do some repointing and replacement on the wall and see how it goes, check inside see what the internals look like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back