Mortar Mix vs Cement Mix

On the right side of the wall the mortar joints are hard, should I just leave them and only do the parts that are powdery?
Or should I rake even the hard ones out? I'm wary of disturbing what seems hard and settled.

Sponsored Links
OP,
Do all your repairs & replacement bricklaying first.
Then, when the mortar has firmed up, you can rake out whatever.
Leave well alone where you have hard beds & perps (mortar joins) - just do the "powdery" stuff.

Post # 14,

- you are wrong again. you dont even know which side of the stack is the OP's side.
- still wrong: you claim "the first pot is missing" - no its not.
- now, weirdly wrong, you claim that "the first pot has been replaced with a hood top cowl" - no it hasn't.
- not one of your observations is correct. Why not stop digging yourself into a hole.

- your last sentence is stupefying in its stammering incoherence.
- have you ever heard the wise old saying that a drowning cdbe clutches at straws?

FWIW: the OP confirms my earlier suggestion ref water entering the flue - looks like you are wrong about that too.

OP,
Do all your repairs & replacement bricklaying first.
Then, when the mortar has firmed up, you can rake out whatever.
Leave well alone where you have hard beds & perps (mortar joins) - just do the "powdery" stuff.
With the bricks I would not be planning on taking the loose ones out, but working on them in situ. If thats what you mean. I don't want to do the central hole first because otherwise I would not be able to mortar behind. If the feathers are intact on the right I was thinking to gently screed the right half of the wall with fast setting mortar working from the outside in.
Then bottom left do some shallow repointing with fast cement, small sections, firming up that side. Once the solid areas are set .. then work on the loose stuff top left mortar the inside within arms reach and replace central hole. screed.

Sponsored Links
Post # 14,

- now, weirdly wrong, you claim that "the first pot has been replaced with a hood top cowl" - no it hasn't.

Do you think I'm mistaken? Maybe I am, maybe it's a special secret red thing, or a red seagull or something? Can you see it, it's there, hiding at the front of the stack in the place of the original pot, it's really hard to see.

Screenshot_20230422-201135-500~2.png

Most of the loose bricks are in the rubble heap - but any obviously very loose or falling out of the c/breast then remove and re-bed them in.
Some bricks probably fell, & are now jammed down the flues or piled in fireplaces.
Use the normal mixed bags I previously referred you to - stay away from "fast cement".
Work slowly and what you suggest will work.

Post # 14,

- have you ever heard the wise old saying that a drowning cdbe clutches at straw
sums up your last sentence #18 stammering incoherence - your puerile effort at pretentious language ?

Last edited:
cdbe,
I was wrong. You were right.
I apologise for my posts and have tried to delete them.

cdbe,
I was wrong. You were right.
I apologise for my posts and have tried to delete them.
No - leave them and tell everyone what a **** you are tell :LOL: The mods will probably delete for you - as is their habit. This " apology " lark is a first for you. Are you on new meds ? So you can use a poster's moniker ? #post nonsense - is that going too? Are you coming back ?

Last edited:
Post # 14,

- you are wrong again. you dont even know which side of the stack is the OP's side.
- not one of your observations is correct. Why not stop digging yourself into a hole.

- have you ever heard the wise old saying that a drowning cdbe clutches at straws?

FWIW: the OP confirms my earlier suggestion ref water entering the flue - looks like you are wrong about that too.
tell..... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back