Most hospitable culture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping this won't be contentious, but I was thinking the other day about how people of some cultures seem to be brought up to be naturally hospitable. It is a generalisation, but thought it could provoke some interesting discussion.

My experiences have shown me that Sikhs are the most hospitable people I have ever met. Whenever I have gone to a Sikh house my glass is never empty and I always leave feeling like I've eaten enough to last me a week!

Went to a Sikh wedding reception once, there were hundreds of people there. We were asked "what would you like to drink?" when we got there. My father asked for a scotch, and was given a litre bottle. I asked for a beer, and was given a crate! Now, I've been to some Anglo-Saxon wedding receptions where there is a lot of booze, but nothing like that!

Sponsored Links
UK people on a camping trip in Europe!

Irish B&B landlady in a remote village (forgot the name): we arrived there a day before my partners birthday. I asked where I could get a cake or something. She said: not to worry, be here next day (the birthday) around 6 pm. We came back from a day trip that day and walked into a spread of cake, sandwiches, drinks, puddings etc. Plus, extra bonus, violin concert by her two little daughters (8 and 10 years old).
Best party my partner ever had!

Worst on hospitality, I still think, are Swiss people.

The inhabitants of a longhouse near Kuching in Sarawak.

We visited in the early 80's, tramped thro' their longhouse to the "back porch", which had never seen (or felt!) 4 large europeans on it before.....

Needless to say, it collapsed! As we rather red-facedly limped off to the river to wash our wounds, they knocked another one together quick as Jack Robinson....

They were still smiling when we left!

Bedhouins...............watched some camel racing with them and then retired to the tent for eats and drinks..................we were only going past them in a landrover, got flagged down and me and my mate ended up being wined and dined for the best part of 6 hours! (some really dodgy food though :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
jasy said:
some really dodgy food though

Like sheeps brains and eyeballs......raw, of course. Yummy.

I had the brains once, but passed on the eyeballs. They made me want to vom just thinking about it. Well, imagine what it would be like to put an eyeball in your north and swallow it..... Must be worse than swallowing s*men!!

I went to a SWEDISH WEDDING a few years ago

I was the guest of the bride,
A gorgeous lass called Lucy,

it was her an my sister who met her bridegroom in Corfu ,a holiday romance for luce , but Jan my sis kept numbers an made sure lucy called an kept it going an visited ..LOVELY

Over 12months Martin who is SWEDISH a site surveyor /top bloke /english speaker

He came over good mate, I love that fella to bits..

tragically before the wedding ,My Lil sis past away of Cancer ....
very bad time for ALL but we pulled together ..

6months later I was stood as the second best man,bruv david was best man , in a village outside of stockholm (sp)

to cut the storey , martin had invited some rough lads off his site from UK thinking they were ok ...
jeff 18 st muscle loonie
charlie 17stone f*ckwit

the 1st night there they didnt want to sleep an drank got very out of order .. like me within order

I left them at 5 trying to shush them as they both informed me .,
I was getting battered the next night .. , good I said Ill be in London .. lol

next day they were shamed an humbled after my persitant **** take all day ...

charles was ok ....understood the night before the wedding stuff ,
was humbled

old jeff goes "off on one" in the family homes smashing things up an me an charles bundling him out , wrestling falling crashing no one there as they at "do" we should of been at ......."MISSED IT"...we sorted arseh*le ...away ....

Next day martin who could take us all

he looks like CONAN ,
looked at the ripped off door an broken bedroom an **** stained bedding
HE WAS NEAR TEARS AN MENTAL

an I went to him an said
" I m sorry I was out of order , I love you ,please forgive me ... Im drunken fool ... please help me ....I LOVE LUCY !!!"
I think that last bit stopped me getting FACKIN HAMMERED

he said "are you cool for a wedding!"

sheepishly nodded "YEP SORRY "

I was made to be a King,, a REAL wonder .... by everyone unbeknown at that WEDDING , I was accepted an loved even though close family thought me, that nasty EVIL **** ....

I WAS SHOWN A LEVEL OF FORGIVENESS ON SUCH A DAY ...SWEDISH IS BEST !!

Could you imagine above an a brit /brit confession wedding day morn ..lol

btw wed morn , Jeff wanted to say so f*ckin what an if martin wanted it he would get it ....,but jeff said Ill sort that *UNT next day at his wedding day ..so thank god we wheeled him away an charlie babysat him in a local bar all day ....he got so hammered we put him on the ryan air home , an when martin an lucy found out I wasnt THE WEDDING CLOWN fAck up on flight .....martin wanted to kill Jeff at Manchester ,lucy was in tears an knew I would never do that at her wedding,
joking she had a do about me attending the wedding an she had Fackin told the in laws ,if he/me doesnt go I dont go ...(NOW THAT IS MATES ..LOL...)

names changed

Yeah but Moz what we want to know did you give Lucy some English hospitality?? :LOL:

Lucy was english .. EH EH
they met in corfu .. are stupid !!
it was MARTIN THE SWEDISH , fella an I think the drunkenken foolishness with the brits abroad ...SAD /PATHETIC ...

but other Brits abroad at the time her/lucies 2 other rugby playing bros,2 pints back to the shallie ...
hmm left me with the 9pint loonie... great cheers have a good night sleep ..lol

Moz said:
Lucy was english .. EH EH
they met in corfu .. are stupid !!
it was MARTIN THE SWEDISH , fella an I think the drunkenken foolishness with the brits abroad ...SAD /PATHETIC ...

but other Brits abroad at the time her/lucies 2 other rugby playing bros,2 pints back to the shallie ...
hmm left me with the 9pint loonie... great cheers have a good night sleep ..lol

Never mind perhaps one day :D

Many years ago I cycled round Bali with my g'friend. We were told they were v friendly and it's true. Just outside a mountain village one of our bikes broke down due to a bolt having fallen off further back. There were a group of young lads on rickety bikes and one of them took a nut and bolt off his own bike and gave it us. While I was fitting it an old guy came along and gave us some fruit out of these huge baskets he was carrying. They didn't speak a word of english I was so glad I knew how to say thanks in Balinese.

THAT IS CLASS/WONDERFUL
could you imagine that at home ?

best regards

Working in France once, I happened to be in a meeting on 6th January. Something to do with 12th Night, the whole company stops work for a 'feast of the kings' at dinnertime.

At this feast, everyone gets to have a piece of their special cake, and if you find a little china king inside your piece, then you are King for the day.

I guess the next bit was set up, but I ended up with the China king and was indeed king for the day. It meant I got to choose my bride from amongst the workforce, dress up in a crown, and drink wine for the rest of the day.

Most civilised..........

Sponsored Links
Back