Moved house - system boiler & water tank programmer settings

Finally had more time to investigate and follow up on this... Been and taken some pictures of the delights of my installation. I particularly like the wiring centre... :rolleyes:

The lovely plumbing coming out of the system boiler. Can see the 2 motorised valves for what I'm assuming is an S-Plan set-up:
1727871141929.jpeg

1727871155225.jpeg

Fantastic wiring centre:
1727871169011.jpeg

And finally, the inside of the grey cover on the cylinder:
1727871184182.jpeg

Do I have any control of the temp the cylinder is set to? The system boiler is set to ~63degrees.
I can't find any room thermostat anywhere in the house, I'll start a different thread on that shortly but am I basically correct to assume I could have an updated 2-channel programmer added to manage both schedule and temperate set-point?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
The attachments when clicked on come up with "Opps! We ran into some problems" so only thing what has changed is you say it is S plan.

First the central heating, I am an electrician not a heating engineer, but basic way gas (not oil) central heating works, is hot water is pumped around the system, through thermostatic radiator valves (TRV) on every radiator, and as these close the by-pass valve opens allowing hot water to return to the water heater, which then modulates (turns down output) to match the demand, until it can't turn down any more, then it starts a mark/space ratio, turning boiler off/on slowly increasing the off time.

The problem is, it would never turn fully off, you could do that manually, but better if automated, best is for the TRV heads to be linked to the controller, so when all satisfied boiler is turned off. However that tends to be expensive, so we are told to select a ground floor room, as heat raises, normally kept cool, as we want heating to turn off as ambient temperature raises, with no outside doors, or alternative heating, and not fit a TRV in that room, but use a wall thermostat. And use the lock shield valve on the radiator to adjust heating speed so that room is slowest to heat up.

Don't know your house, but my house no such room, front and back doors, and three patio doors, so six doors to enter and exit house, a open fire in one living room and two kitchens with cookers and washing machines etc, so looking at near enough engineering.

So that means balance a wall thermostat and TRV, so mother house (this one oil so different) in the hall both a wall thermostat and TRV on the radiator the radiator closer to front door, and TRV lower down, so TRV set to around 17ºC and wall thermostat to 19ºC so the scenario was, front door opened, hall cooled, and TRV turns on, the hall heats say 10ºC to approx 16ºC and the TRV starts to close, but they are analogue, so closes over say 4ºC so in heart of winter the wall thermostat never turns off, and whole house controlled by the TRV's, but as summer approaches, then the hall does get warm enough to turn off the wall thermostat so boiler turns off.

One can improve on the basic system by using programmable TRV heads and programmable wall thermostat, even put in two wall thermostats to allow for change in wind direction, but we are work with near enough engineering it will never be perfect. I got eQ-3 programmable TRV heads for £15 each in 2019, the terrier i30 very similar, they do not link to any hub or thermostat.

As one pays more, you can have them linked to a hub EVO-home1.jpgso you can control each TRV from a central hub, there are many systems, but TRV heads get more expensive some are around £80 per head, you need to strike a balance. No right, wrong, or best, they all work, but cost to run central heating changes, and remember the boiler is analogue so analogue controls are best, on/off wall thermostats can make it worse not better, main control is with TRV's.

Now onto domestic hot water, if stored needs to be over 60ºC to stop legionnaires. 65ºC is normal, in winter warming up pipe work does not matter, as that heat will go into the house, summer however different story. Gas is cheaper than electric, but you have more losses with gas, so all down to how much DHW is used. My wife and I use an instant electric shower, so DHW is only for washing hands, and the odd dish which can't go into the dish washer, we have no thermostat on the DHW tank except for the immersion heater, so only control was time, our Nest Gen 3 allows us to set how long what time and what day of week heated in half hour increments, so set 4 times a week ½ hour at a time, but after 20 minutes return water too hot so boiler would turn off, so 20 kW boiler, oil so always at 20 kW when running so 80 hours per week = approx 25 kWh to heat domestic hot water, when solar fitted started using the immersion heater with an iboost+ which uses excess solar, and logs how much used per week, approx 2.5 kWh, oil and gas are cheaper, but not a tenth of the price of electric, so for us, using electric is cheaper in summer, winter no option, if central heating running DHW is heated, no way to turn it off.

This is a three story house, so long pipe run, not lagged boiler to cylinder, if the two were closer it would change how much lost, but you want a boiler to fire up the least times it can and keep water hot, so with a boiler timed DWH is good, but with immersion there is no looses from pipework or boiler, so no real need to set times, unless you have an off peak supply, just leave it on.

Not sure what is wrong with the photos - they work on my computer browser but not mobile browser.

Anyway, a bit more digging through the manual for the cylinder and I now understand how to set the temp for the water.

Next step is to get some better controls installed - I’ve created a new thread for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back