Moving Consumer Unit - popular topic eh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Thanks for your previous good advice.

Want to move my consumer unit - not far, but somewhere away from the water pipes would make me happy :confused:

First question.
The incoming fuse and meter will need to move also (about a foot or so). How does the process work?
  • Do I put in the new CU, phone up the REC and they send a bloke round and just do it?
    Do they charge?
    Is it a fixed cost?
    Will they actually connect the supply to the new CU?

Second question
I will need to extend all the circuits to reach the new CU (moving it the wrong way sadly).
Is there some kind of multiway connector (kinda giant terminal block) that I can attach all the circuits to, so I can extend them onward.

Regulations
Is there any regulation that says I can't put all the extended cables into a 2" conduit (heat dissipation etc etc)?
Do I have to keep that conduit more than a certain distance from the water pipes (leccy will be above water pipes, not below).

Thanks for any answers to any of this, ta!!

(PS. I got quoted £600 for this work and the supply of the CU - seemed a bit excessive, or am I just being penny pinching?)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back