Multipoint front door lock getting jammed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The multipoint lock on our front door is getting jammed - i.e. sometimes we cannot unlock it. It's controlled by a 12 year old Yale Keyfree system. It will lock when we pull up the handle, but we're often unable to pull down the handle to unlock it without a great deal of difficulty - it seems to get jammed.
Any hints and tips for how to diagnose/fix this?

Sponsored Links
Could be 1 of 3 things, the keyfree playing up, the actual locking mechanism failing or the the door is out of alignment with the frame, virtually impossible to diagnose further without being in front of the door to look

Well that was annoying. I just paid a locksmith to take a look. He sprayed it with WD40 and fixed it.
And all for £100 :0(

I have exactly the same problem with multilock/Yale Keyfree of a similar age - any chance you could enlighten us as to which bits needed the WD40? Any guidance appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have exactly the same problem with multilock/Yale Keyfree of a similar age - any chance you could enlighten us as to which bits needed the WD40? Any guidance appreciated.

I have only ever had to work on that lock once (timber door). The customer had it fitted by their builder- he also had the Samsung keyless lock on the same door (don't ask).

The Yale keyfree would not work. It took me a while but I eventually worked out that the receivers for the multi-locking points were misaligned. It meant that when you pull up the handle, the mechanism was not fully engaging (only partially).

As @crank39 said, if it was working previously and that you have a uPVC door, you may need to align the hinges. With the door open, when you pull the handle up, do the locking points extend properly? If yes, something needs tweaking, either at the hinges or at the opposite side of the door frame.

You spray liberally into the cavities where the multi-point locks emerge from - my door has three of them (top, middle and bottom)
20240724_155625.jpg

I have the same issue when the door is open so I'm pretty sure it's not alignment.
The handle lifts and the multipoint mechanism moves to lock. It will, however not unlock unless I gently push the latch in 2-3mm (door open) and then the handle will lower and unlock. I am suspecting the gearbox of the multipoint lock but any thoughts welcome.

Video attached to help explain.

Attachments

• Video.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 35
No problem - i did think it may be an issue but there wasn't another option - will look at uploading to Youtube or similar. this evening.

That was easier than I thought - video on Youtube ..

Well done.

I am in the pub (after work) and so watched the video without audio.

Has the lock only recently started to misbehave? I suspect not...

It might be worthwhile contacting them and seeing what they say.

It may also be worthwhile trying the tip recommended by the OP.

Either way, please do let us know how you get on, it may help others.

Best of luck in the meantime.

I suspect thats the begining of the gearbox failing, notice the hook falls down as you push the handle down, theres probably too much slop in the internals. Luckily the Yale YS170 gearbox can be replaced and is pretty cheap

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back