My electrician has confused me about how to wire a light switch - please can someone have a go at explaining what he's saying?

I wondered why pull it out in the first place and if he got a little bend/hook like shape when cutting it ruin the other two conductor`s insulation, seemed like a mad thing to do, apparently it was then pointed out to him that if the fittings where then changed to metal that he would need to add an earthwire back in somehow. Some folk!

Mind you, just as daft, some years ago a joiner was doing a job on someones house in the evenings in his own time. He left a list at the loca; woodyard and the customer picked it up and paid for it. He told me that every so often he would turn up and some items missing, the customer had a habit of returning stuff he thought was not needed then had to return to re-purchase it.
Besides anything else it made the job more expensive due to additional labour and customer was not pleased at being "overcharged". LOL.
I had one similar on a rewire "Where is that box of Earth Clamps?" customer had thrown it away because as I had not used them she thought I did not need them (I ran out of time to put use them that day so left them for the following day).
Many years ago we had some building work done by a retired builder, part of it was a door/window frame combo replacing 5 ft wide by 4ft Crittal window. Dad and I met him at the builders merchant in our van, he was chosing lengths of timber and the pile seemed a bit ... let's say excessive, until questioned and flustered he said he hadn't made the final choice until he was outside in the sunlight. 4 10ft lengths of 4x2 softwood were suddenly not required for the hardwood frame. Hmmmm :unsure: Having been in the situation I can appreciate the customers doubts.

Sponsored Links
I wondered why pull it out in the first place ...
Sure, that the obvious question. I was just pointing out that, from my experience, even if (for whatever reason) he tried to do it, I'm surprised that he succeeded (I presume he did?), unless the cables were very short!

Drops to the wall lights probably near the ceiling rose to pick up the lighting circuit at a guess, just a few meters each at a guess but why would any sane person do ir? lol

Sponsored Links
Drops to the wall lights probably near the ceiling rose to pick up the lighting circuit at a guess, just a few meters each at a guess but why would any sane person do ir? lol
Goodness only knows - "he" is the only person who could answer that one!

I have to say that, from my experience, it would be 'next-to-impossible' even with 'just a few metres' (even with "metres spelled correctly :) ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back