my lighting track is broken..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a lighting track which consists of 4x20W halogen spots powered by a 12V transformer.

Recently one of the bulbs went - which didn't get replaced. The next three bulbs went in turn shortly afterwards until we were left with nothing. I then bought 4 new bulbs and plugged them in to find that the whole unit is now broken.

They are plugged into a 60-300W dimmer switch. I tried swapping this for a normal switch and they still didn't work. I hear no hum / get no heat from the transformer as if it is dead.

Does anyone have an idea what might have happened and how I can best fix it?

TIA

Sponsored Links
as you said

pmx_super said:
transformer as if it is dead.

it is dead, it may have a fuse (unlikeley but possible, if not get a complete new light as it may (probably be cheaper and less hassle than trying to change the transformer)

Thanks breezer,

so I know not to make the same mistake twice what might have broken the transformer?

Running it with too few bulbs perhaps? Might this have drawn to much current and blown a fuse? If it isn't a fuse what else in a transformer could possibly break? Isn't it just a lump of iron with a couple of copper coils?

Cheers

pmx_super said:
Thanks breezer,

Isn't it just a lump of iron with a couple of copper coils?

Cheers

Thats exactly what a transformer is, fuse is optional. it sounds like the coil has burnt out cheap transformers do that

Sponsored Links
I don't know if the transformer blew for the same reason, but probably the reason you lost the last 3 bulbs in quick succession is that cheap 12v transformers actually put out more than that, and rely on the full load being present to drag the voltage down to 12. A scandalous method of voltage regulation IMHO :evil:

So when 25% of your load disappears, the voltage supplied to the rest goes up, shortening their lives. After the second one goes, there's not much hope left for the last two.

Buy a better quality one next time, and check that it's dimmable.

Buy a better quality one next time, and check that it's dimmable.

Didn't actually buy this one- inherited it with the flat. Never liked it much anyway, so I think that replacing the entire unit is the best solution.

Thanks for the input guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back