Narrowboats......just to lighten the mood!

J

JulieL

We have recently bought a narrowboat.

Dave is desperately trying to get me to sell up and move on board...... :rolleyes: :eek:

Have any of you ever lived on a narrowboat or experienced a holiday on one? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I did a week on the Norfolk Broads once. Eleven of us on one boat, and not one argument.

It seemed to suit Rosie and Jim just fine, puffing along on The Old Ragdoll.

And there was the chap called Fizgogg who drove the boat.

I reckon it could be a laugh. Narrowboat definitely the way, there are some surprisingly narrow locks on some rivers that could scupper a broader cabin cruiser.

It seemed to suit Rosie and Jim just fine, puffing along on The Old Ragdoll

This is a light hearted thread Adam, no sexist or ageist remarks please! :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
1106257213_rosie%20and%20jim%20fp-0848.jpg

My mistake, it was chugging along :LOL:

We had a narrowboat holiday at Easter with some friends on the Shropshire union canal. I had a lot of time to observe these 'residential' boats and to give them some thought, as whenever it was raining I seemed to be doing all the driving :cry:

There were a surprising number of these boats moored up and some of them looked really nice but some were quite tatty. I think that it would be a very peaceful lifestyle if you like that kind of thing. In a way it reminds me of camping with a few more of the home comforts, and I like the idea of being able to move your moorings when you like. If I were to do this I would travel the length of the country at my own pace.

One downside that I can see is transport off the boat. Many of them had bikes strapped to the roof and I suppose that if you are at a long-term mooring you would have a car parked nearby, but if you are travelling around this would be difficult. Personally I think it would be worth the sacrifice and would be happy to do the shopping with a bike and a rucsack.

petewood said:
........... a bike and a rucsack.

A string bag would be advisable today...
;)
Living on the water

There are two forms of residential boating for licencing purposes:

Continuous cruising - which means you can't stay more than 14 days in the same location

Permanent Residence - which means you are permanently moored on a site with planning permission for residential use

As well as a mooring, you will need to ensure you have a boat licence, a Boat Safety Scheme Certificate and Third Party insurance (on most waterways)

Source: British Waterways..

...... Buying the boat is the easy part - finding a residential mooring is the tough bit.
Moorings are provided by British Waterways or by independent providers, depending on where the site is located.
Getting a mooring doesn't mean you are allowed to live on your boat though. For that you need a specific residential mooring.
British Waterways restrict the number of people who are allowed residential moorings and on popular waterways there is often a waiting list as they are so sought after.

I know there were some problems concerned with 'living on' narrers, on our nearby Kennet and Avon ... Cannot recall what tho'
Guess where on the K&A :-
05bathampton4.jpg
From http://www.moore2life.co.uk/

Interesting... http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/jim.shead/Links6.html

Do read this !! http://www.doubledutch.me.uk/4556.html

What a lovely life away from the lunatics ... Anyone remember the tv play about the guys Narrowboating from up Derby way, down to Stratford upon Avon? ... Starred Brian Glover (deceased) AKA Leon Arras a wrestler in the Les Kellet daze of Kent Walton on ITV.
..The Fishing Party - w Peter Terson. The picaresque adventures of three Derbyshire miners - I Can't See My Little Willy author Douglas Livingstone, Ray 'Selwyn Froggit' Mort and Brian Glover - on a booze-free cod fishing weekend in Whitby. "No brown aleing, no being sick over the wall... we'll show our wives we can be civilized without them!" Originally a radio play starring Wilfred Pickles. Grew into a trilogy with two further productions based on the same characters - Shakespeare or Bust (a working class take on Three Men In a Boat in Stratford-Upon-Avon, with the lads off on a barge to soak up some culture via the canal, and ending up in it) in 1973 and Three for the Fancy (where they plan to exhibit a rabbit, a mouse and a guinea pig at the Bradford Championship Show) in 1974.

Sorry folks that's a bit ancient, but a real classic set !!
:D :D :D :D

JulieL said:
Have any of you ever lived on a narrowboat or experienced a holiday on one? :LOL:
Did one on Norfolk boards and wasn't that keen on the area as it's just more open field & land but did another trip last year on the river thames from Reading thru' windsor castle route, a very relaxing enoyable holiday. Have met many people living on narrow boat and they all said it's the best thing they have done & saving money as well, not sure about the mooring fee depending where you are though. The most friendly people I have ever met. I once couldn't park the boat correctly and one of them said" for the god sake turn the bloody thing off and chuck the rope to me and stop showing off!" :LOL: :LOL:

I thought narrow boats were for caravaners who could not drive? :LOL:

Serioulsy, I spent a day on the Norfolk Broads a couple of years back, and I have to say it was one of the most relaxing and enjoyable days I have had.

I would recommend the broads to anyone..the only problem with that is, if everyone used the broads, it would loose it's peace and tranquility!! :cry:

petewood wrote.

One downside that I can see is transport off the boat. Many of them had bikes strapped to the roof and I suppose that if you are at a long-term mooring you would have a car parked nearby

Peter, when we had our shell built we had the front section(well or bow deck) constructed 2ft longer than normal. That is 6ft long instead of the more usual size of around 4ft. We did this to facilitate the carrying of a moped or scooter should we ever go on any long term breaks. I have just got to devise a method of loading and unloading it, which is relatively simple really.

Yes you are correct, the people with regular moorings would normally have car parking facilities. Generally speaking the more you pay for your moorings the better the facilities. There are still regional differences though and in areas of higher demand(such as London) the higher property prices place moorings at a premium. My (basic with no power supply)marina based moorings, which are in Cheshire, cost me about £1300 PA for a 53ft boat, I was also on a waiting list for about 6 months or so for this. On top of that you have licences, insurance, safety checks(like an MOT) etc. All in I reckon a boat the size of ours would cost around £2500 PA in fixed costs plus fuel and heating etc.

This brings me onto Pipme's comment about the problems on the Kennet and Avon canal. Clearly the above costs are not cheap and with this in mind people will avoid them where possible. The water authorities have a licence available for people who continually cruise the system and wouldn't need regular moorings. One of the stipulations of this licence is that you are a Bona Fide continous cruiser and that you do indeed move around the system. The problems Pipme refers too(generally speaking) are with people who are licenced this way but just move up and down the same section of water(bridge hopping) which is against the by-laws and the spirit of the rules. They are mainly doing this to save paying mooring and other costs(if moorings are available). This problem is countrywide and not just on the K&A canal, the authorities are currently devising new schemes to combat the problem though.

FWL_Engineer wrote,

They are for those that like a lager whilst driving mate! :LOL: :LOL:

david and julie said:
FWL_Engineer wrote,

They are for those that like a lager whilst driving mate! :LOL: :LOL:

Hmmmm, perhaps I am missing out on something!! :LOL:

Seriously though David, could you not be prosecuted for being in control of a Boat on a public waterway whilst under the influence of Alcohol?

david and julie said:
Peter, when we had our shell built we had the front section(well or bow deck) constructed 2ft longer than normal. That is 6ft long instead of the more usual size of around 4ft..

I saw a couple of boats like this and it looked like a good idea to me. I always thought the bow deck was a bit on the small side as it's nice to sit there when the weather permits.

Clearly the above costs are not cheap
Sounds pretty cheap to me compared with running a house and driving a car every day.

Seriously though David, could you not be prosecuted for being in control of a Boat on a public waterway whilst under the influence of Alcohol?

Good job they didn't have breathalysers on the canals we cruised on then!
I'm not sure about canals but I remember reading a couple of years ago that you could no longer sail in harbours and marinas under the influence because all the hooray henrys were leaving their yachts in the tender to spend half a day wining and dining and then sailing back in the dark and crashing into yachts all over the place. From what I remember there was quite a big outcry from the sailing fraternity but the law was passed anyway due to safety concerns. Alcohol and open water don't mix well.

Sponsored Links
Back