Neighbour brick wall built directly on their driveway?

We've dug out lots of times next to boundary walls that are on 3-4" of concrete just below the surface
It is handy when the foundations are not attached to your driveway.

Look on the bright side - each time he renews the concrete drive, you get a new wall. :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Bit "bright" for my eyes but I'm sure it will weather down. Reminds me of a truly horrendous one on my parents estate where everything is red Accrington brick:

Screenshot_20240603-093200.png

I think that pillar next to the gatepost looks seriously odd.

It's a planning issue, that height should have needed planning permission. Phone them up and ask their advice.

Let us know how you go on. They should come and look. It looks like there will be railings between the piers, so it will look pretty intimidating.

More likely he's a solicitor so thinks he's more important than everyone else. Money can't buy taste!

You should be able to search planning applications on your local council's website, I'm betting that it doesn't have permission - if it had then you should have been notified directly by the council as it adjoins your land.

The hedgehog hole looks a lot like a surface water drain.

The concrete of the base in picture 2.

Is that on your property?

Not only that, but even the wall is over the boundary (based on where the face of the old fence came to, that is).

They have also knocked over the last pillar on my front garden wall (no consultation whatsoever).

Part of that foundation was built out as the wall was constructed, so from where the face of the fence was, they are over by quite a bit.

I know that boundaries are tricky to work out, but when I saw what was happening with the foundations, I talked to the neighbour and asked that the boundary and my wall be respected.

The neighbour has offered to pay for repairs to:
A fence panel they ripped (yes I mean ripped) out to get to the wall on my side
A plant that they cut out of the ground to get to the wall on my side
A new pillar/support for my wall

I'm still in shock, to be honest, but I wanted to ensure the wall wasn't likely to fall on anyone first and foremost.

Sponsored Links
Not only that, but even the wall is over the boundary (based on where the face of the old fence came to, that is).

They have also knocked over the last pillar on my front garden wall (no consultation whatsoever).

Part of that foundation was built out as the wall was constructed, so from where the face of the fence was, they are over by quite a bit.

I know that boundaries are tricky to work out, but when I saw what was happening with the foundations, I talked to the neighbour and asked that the boundary and my wall be respected.

I'm still in shock, to be honest, but I wanted to ensure the wall wasn't likely to fall on anyone first and foremost.
I'd be more concerned about him building on my land, than what is on it and what fences he's damaged.

The concrete drive must of extended into your garden before the wall was built then? you mentioned earlier he built the wall on his drive.

It's a planning issue, that height should have needed planning permission. Phone them up and ask their advice.

Let us know how you go on. They should come and look. It looks like there will be railings between the piers, so it will look pretty intimidating.

More likely he's a solicitor so thinks he's more important than everyone else. Money can't buy taste!

You should be able to search planning applications on your local council's website, I'm betting that it doesn't have permission - if it had then you should have been notified directly by the council as it adjoins your land.

The hedgehog hole looks a lot like a surface water drain.

The fence before was the same/similar height. I know they should have replaced it like for like.

What can I do if it is a surface water drain, wait till it rains then complain?

I'd be more concerned about him building on my land, than what is on it and what fences he's damaged.

I agree, but what can I do about that now it's built?

The concrete drive must of extended into your garden before the wall was built then? you mentioned earlier he built the wall on his drive.

They extended the driveway in one area as it was being built.

Stop moaning here about it and phone your council's planning department. It required planning permission, which they don't have - otherwise you'd have been told about the application by the council.

By the sounds of it they've kept their full driveway width and built on your land alongside it. You need to get your deeds and work out where the boundary is. It should be on their side of the line or, at most, have its midpoint on the boundary if it's a shared wall.

IMO it looks terrible, almost fortified. Sadly many are turning their homes into castles these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back