Nest ... What replaces what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Complete and utter noob here

I want to replace my programmer and thermostat with nest 3rd Gen

My programmer is right next to my boiler and the thermostat is in the other room

Am I right in thinking the heat link connects to where my programmer is and the actual nest thermostat replaces the thermostat

It should be a straight swap considering all the wires are there but just making sure it's the right way round

Attachments

• 20240910_122824.jpg
    20240910_122824.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20240910_122801.jpg
    20240910_122801.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
Mostly correct. The existing thermostat wires need connecting to T1 & T2 inside the Heat Link. If you leave them connected where they are you'll fry your new Nest

Mostly correct. The existing thermostat wires need connecting to T1 & T2 inside the Heat Link. If you leave them connected where they are you'll fry your new Nest
Thanks

If I already have a thermostat wired to the programmer, can the same wires be used to connect the heatlink and thermostat together ? I have the programmer in my utility room and the thermostat in another room

If not wireless would be an option

I don't want to have another wire connecting the heatlink and thermostat together

Sponsored Links
If I already have a thermostat wired to the programmer, can the same wires be used to connect the heatlink and thermostat together ?
As has been said above, you may be able to use the same cable to power the Nest thermostat - however, the thermostat cable is likely to be connected within the wiring centre (the plastic box below the programmer).
Some wiring changes will be needed in the wiring centre and possibly an extension cable run from the old thermostat cable to the Heatlink.

If you are happy to (with the power off), post some good photos of the wiring within the wiring cente, behind the programmer, and behind the thermostat, and we may be able to help you work out what goes where!

Alternatively, the Nest thermostat can be run from a USB power supply. The old thermostat would then need to be turned up to maximum, or if you wanted to remove it completely, the cable would still need to be linked out in the wiring centre.

I hope that makes sense!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back