New Composite door low 15m threshold question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am considering a composite door from a UK company (GSRcompositedoors)

It has 3 options, 50mm and 70mm and an 15mm Aluminium threshold, these are the clearance height plastic bits at the bottom of the doors and part of the upvc frame itself.

See this picture:

surry080616.jpg

The question Is a 50-70mm threshold is higher rated to stop rain water, wind and insects in, but can an low 15mm threshold Aluminium still be good enough to block rain water, wind and insects from coming in?

I have emailed several door UK companies and they were not saying yes or no, just that 50 or 70mm would be better "rated", standard sales person response I guess.

Does anyone have a low 15mm threshold and does it block rain, wind and insects? and is it possible for some picture of how it looks up close with door open.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you fit a 15mm profile where the cill is raised (like the one in the photo) you will be fine, if the cill was flush with the paving outside then really you would want to fit a channel drain alongside the threshold so also OK.

If you fit a 15mm profile where the cill is raised (like the one in the photo) you will be fine, if the cill was flush with the paving outside then really you would want to fit a channel drain alongside the threshold so also OK.

thanks for the reply, I think to avoid any type of issue we are going for the 50mm pvc threshold option which has much better thermal performance.

In the future we can get a better higher door step too make it easier to get in and out it, was just more about the stepping for a pensioner with lower mobility.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back