New Door Split spindle, front door wont lock issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello just require some advice I have replaced my solid split spindle (solid metal part) with an split spindle, this way the door auto locks when I exit the property and slam the door behind me.

But when I return to the property later, use my front door keys it won't open. Fortunately someone was at home to open the door from the inside otherwise would be stuck.

Its this split spindle part here:

split spindle.jpg

has 2 sping's and in 2 separate pieces and male part is on the inside off home (also tried it other way around) but front door keys won't open it at all while the single spindle is fine for opening via front door keys so I currently use this one.

Anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

thanks

Sponsored Links
what type of lock do you have fitted...

Hi thanks, its a platinum key with a thumb turn on inside.

I did inquire to the door company (GRP composite) if the split spindle would be compatible with the platinum key and thumb turn they just said yes, is this incorrect?

You need a split spindel lock...the action of locking the door by moving the handle up engages the multi lock , as its split only the indoor handle will disengage the muilti lock. The Platinum euro lock just engages the dead lock and locks the multi lock in place... its the handle that engages and disengages the multi lock, you have removed the ability of the door to be unlocked from the outside.....

To check it out open the door and activate the locking system from outside...

Sponsored Links
You need a split spindel lock...the action of locking the door by moving the handle up engages the multi lock , as its split only the indoor handle will disengage the muilti lock. The Platinum euro lock just engages the dead lock and locks the multi lock in place... its the handle that engages and disengages the multi lock, you have removed the ability of the door to be unlocked from the outside.....

To check it out open the door and activate the locking system from outside...

Thanks, so would I need to replace my Platinum euro lock with a split spindle lock and then it will work with the split spindle lever? (allowing me to auto lock when exiting front home and slamming door behind me and then using a front door key to open front door to get back in home)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back