New Sockets/Ring Main

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to put in two new sockets and I want to extend the ring main. There is a concrete floor and power to the existing socket comes down the wall. Normally I would extend the ring main and come down the wall to the new sockets; however, in this case I cant' come down the wall (technically I could, however bathroom above and would entail taking up laminate floor, bath and shower tray to get where I would need to feed cable down) Would something like this be acceptable, where the ring main comes into the existing socket, I would replace the box with a dual box and two single sockets, then loop the ring main from one of the socket boxes round to the two new sockets then back to other single socket.

Link to picture of what I mean
http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/2811/electricshw0.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your twin socket should have two cables coming into it, in order for that to be part of the ring main. (Even then, it could be a spur leading on to another spur). From your drawing it looks as though your twin socket is fed from a spur.

I assume that you marked the existing ring with one cable but it has two.

If there is no choice I would add a fused spur to the ring and from it on the load side add as many sockets you need, it is allowed as long the fuse in the spur does not exceed 13A.

I'm also not too keen on the right angle in the cables leaving the original socket, I assume this is a wiring diagram and not a layout drawing? The new sockets need to be horizontally in line with the original to keep within safe zones.

Sponsored Links
Hi Albert- long time no speak, mate. Hope you are keeping well!!

Thanks for the replies

Yes there are two cables, the original socket is part of the ring main.
Yes it is only a wiring diagram, sockets will be level, would look a bit weird if all uneven.

securespark said:
Hi Albert- long time no speak, mate. Hope you are keeping well!!
Yep, busy messing other people's homes, it helps to pay the mortgage :LOL:
I am good, hope you are ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back