New system installed one rad not working correctly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I how someone can help!
Last week we had all our house re piped and a combi installed
(Old system was 1 piped and old insufficient boiler)
The radiator in our living room is piping hot at the top and only slightly warm
At the bottom.
Yesterday we had to take a radiator off in our hallway (room next to where the living room rad) for some decorating. The heating came on last night and our living room radiator all came on piping hot throughout.
What do you think is happening here?

Many thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It's probably something as simple as balancing.

Also TRVs work on air temp and so if the room was warm when you felt the radiator, the TRV might not have been fully open.

When you went to the rad and it was hot, the room might have been cold and the valve fully open

I'm trying to get as much info as poss on the subject so I'm
Not fobbed off.
The radiator always worked in the sense it hearted up, but it was piping hot at the top and just Luke warm half way down and to the bottom.
It's strange how when taking a radiator it's piped up next to it begins to work fully.

Sponsored Links
With the rad next to it removed it would get more flow.

Is the room warm?

Try turning down the rad next it down a little, does it get a more even heat

There are a lot of people in this industry working very hard to carry out good work without the slightest intention of fobbing people off.

Maybe just give your engineer a call, he may suprise you by comming straight round and sorting it

No. It goes back to piping at the top and only warm
Half way down. (At first we thought it could of been sludge)

This rad has never worked properly. Had it about 3 months but originally was on old system and a 1 pipe, so we put it down to that.

But now this has all been installed we are into the same problem, but it can't be a faulty rad if it works when the rad next to it is taken off.
I believe the two rads have had a pipe dropped down from
Upstairs to feed them, could this be a problem?

I've had that many plumbers come round over the years fobbing me off and over charging. So I guess I like to be fully prepared when they come round.

I'm hoping it not a case of how the pipes have been dropped down as they are now plastered into the walls.

I wouldn't have plastered pipes into walls.

Turn down all the rads that are hot upstairs just a little, does the rad now get hot all over?

If it was a sludge issue, it wouldn't have got hot all over when you shut the other rad

Inaccessible. Depending on how you did it the expanding and contracting of the pipes with heat will crack the plaster.

Did you protect the pipes with tape, Denso or other ?

Let's not worry about that at the minute, and concentrate on the rad

I've had that many plumbers come round over the years fobbing me off and over charging. So I guess I like to be fully prepared when they come round.

You seem to have a pretty low opinion of those in the heating trade!

Or do you just choose the worst by selecting the cheapest who struggle for work?

Most of them would have a low opinion of you if you take off a newly fitted rad for decorating so that you lose the inhibitor the installer added!

The time to do decoration is BEFORE any new rads are fitted!

Tony

Haha, oh hear we go. Someone logs in for an argument!

In actual fact, it was the plumber who did the job that's took the radiator off in order to plaster in the pipe work.

My option is based on bad experiences. I would prefer to pay the extra for the job done correctly. But unfortunately paying over the odds still doesn't mean jobs are done perfectly with no problems.

My opinion isn't aimed at you, so why you feel the need to be so defensive is beyond me. Nothing better to do I guess.
If your not here to help. Go to another forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back