New water pipe. Wall looks damp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently had our lead pipe replaced on our Victorian terrace. The plumbers went in through our front garden, previous lead pipe went under the entry way. It's been a few weeks and with the heavy rain I've noticed the wall and cavity around the pipe is very wet. They didn't seal the pipe at either end, or add a conduit for it which I understand is standard now. Anything I can put in the inside cavity to at least stop the damp? I really don't want to contact them again as this job has been a pain in the arse.

Attachments

• IMG-20240709-WA0016.jpeg
    IMG-20240709-WA0016.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
Can we have a picture from further back please.

That looks totally unacceptable from what I can see, any new mains supply either needs to come in under the floor, through a duct or if coming up outside and through the wall, a suitable method of installation, including appropriate insulation needs to be employed.

Is there a water meter fitted before it? As per @Hugh Jaleak, looks totally unacceptable and against water regulations. Yes it should be sleeved, but ideally, again as per Hugh, through a floor/duct.

Here is a picture from further back. It's in the cellar and you can see where the old lead pipe comes in.

@CBW we don't have a water meter fitted.

Attachments

• PXL_20240710_061144884.jpg
    PXL_20240710_061144884.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
OP,
1. Check out: Ultimate Handyman - "Lead water service replacement" on you tube.
2. No plumber did that job.
3. Why 15mm when 22mm has been an unofficial domestic water service size for some years?
4. The whole lot in the pic left dangling unsupported or clipped.
5. The connection fitting or fittings at the top of the copper looks, as far as it can be seen, a bit sketchy?
6. How deep was the trench?
7. Obviously, the Utility didn't make the outside connection.
8. Is the external shut-off on your property or on a public pavement?

Thanks all for the info.

@ree ...

2. I found them on the Water Safe website of approved contracters believe it or not
3. They only replaced a small part of the 15mm copper pipe, and connected to our existing pipe.
4. I assume I can just cut this off?
5. That's connecting to a limescale inhibitor, which I bought and asked them to connect between the new / old copper pipe
6. Deep enough I think - about the same level as the shut-off outside
8. That's on the pavement

We also had the lead communication pipe replaced from the main supply to our outside shut-off. This was done by the water board as our lead levels were way too high. This has taken 5 months from me ringing the board to completion.

The dampness could be due to the fact that concrete in front of our bay window where the pipe goes in was destroyed and not replaced, so water is going in right up to the house - I have since put a tarp down to see if this helps.

If I just leave this, apart from being against regulations, will it be ok?

It is unlikely to cause any significant problem how the pipework has been done.

As the entry through the wall has not been sealed then ground water outside could run along the loose fill around the pipe into your wall. Should have been sealed on the outside but cement sealed on the inside may be an easy partial solution. Digging down and cement sealing on the outside would be better.

The cement plinth outside being open could well be contributing to dampness as well.

OP,
2. You could set up a trade referral site - anyone can. For most of them the bottom line is spondulicks: gimme the money and your in. More fees to stay in, & up front money every time you get referred. They sell work.
3. & 4. My point was that your installation is a shambles. Even the incoming 20mm MDPE is 15mm ID.
Nowadays a much larger service is common. What do you mean by "just cut this off"?
8. You are not allowed to do any kind of digging on a public footpath if thats how the connection was made - but maybe they tunnelled to the shut-off chamber?

Your house, your call, so yes, of course you can leave it. The odds are it will be fine.

The dampness could be due to the fact that concrete in front of our bay window where the pipe goes in was destroyed and not replaced, so water is going in right up to the house - I have since put a tarp down to see if this helps..............
I too think it will be fine

Last edited:
I suppose the question here is whether 'it'll be fine' is acceptable to you or not.

Personally I'd be checking the installers credentials and confirm they are accredited to water safe and are regs compliant and be part of an accredited scheme to self certify the work.

If they are accredited - as you suggest - then threatening them with a call and complaint to water safe to have the installation inspected would undoubtedly put a fire up their A$$ to sort it out, for sure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back