New WC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1950s mid terrace house has a WC on a half landing at the front of the house & discharges into a combined sewer/drain at the front. The bathroom is upstairs at the rear & drainage from the bath & sink, drain into a drain at the rear. First question, is it likely that the bathroom drains go under the house & into the combined sewer/drain? secondly if so could I install a WC in the bathroom to discharge into the drain incorporating the correct pipework etc. I would be using a qualified builder/plumber.

Sponsored Links
Drainage tends to out towards and under the nearest external wall, and not travel under the house.

Yes a plumber's job, but you may struggle to get a plumber that wants to lay new drains, so a general builder who is good at plumbing - again to may struggle with that.

Building regulations approval would be needed.

Thanks for the reply Woody, I've had my hand down the gulley for the waste water & roof downpipe at the rear of the house, & the gully outlet does seem to head under the house. The drainage plan for the street only shows a "combined sewer" (solid red line) at the front of the property & is annotated "Both surface water and foul sewage flow in the same pipe" There are no dashed blue lines to indicate a surface water sewer or a dashed red line to indicate a foul sewer on the plan.

Sponsored Links
Generally, sewer maps are unreliable. Unless the layout and location is patently obvious, the only way to be sure is to have a CCTV survey done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back