Nightmare customer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earlier in the year a customer asked me to sort out the mistakes made by her builders. She purchased a first floor maisonette and added an extra floor- with a view to making it into a separate property. I explained that I was working out doors elsewhere but would swing by on the rainy days. It worked for me... All good.

One day she mentioned that her roofer wanted me to tuck some lead up under tiles before the scaffolding was readjusted. Her text message said that the lead would be delivered on Friday. I turned up on the Sunday. She asked why I was there. I explained that she said the lead was going to be delivered on the Friday. All of a sudden she went from a lovely customer to someone who insisted that she is so precise and told me that the message would have said that it should be delivered on Friday, but she would let me know when it turns up. I checked her message- it just said lead turning up Friday.

I let it slide.

Later she asked me for advice about a glass balustrade at the top of the stair windings into the top floor. She asked me to be there when the local glazier turned up. He told her that he could fit a bottom profile to fix the glass. She was happy with his recommendation. When he turned up to fit the profile, it was about 50mm wide and about 25mm tall. With reason she rejected it. She then phoned me and told her that I should have advised her better...

Again, I let it slide.

I continued to work in the property, then she asked me to quote for her rental property in East London. I was still stupid enough to still be fond of her. I put in a stoopidly low price. 3 hour round journey.. I gave her a fixed price for the decorating and estimates for things like replacing the broken grohe concealed flush and sorting out the sliding shower door that had fallen apart

Again it was good... and then... wow.
East London, she asked me to replace the dead GU10 bulbs in the hallway. 8 bulbs, 5 were dead. She only had 3 bulbs on site. But they were cool white. The existing bulbs were warm white. I sent her a text saying that the warm white and cool white looked really odd in the hallway and recommended that she order new bulbs.

Weeks after i had left the property she swung by (presumably) to prepare it for an air b n client. She then phoned me up in shouty mode and told me that she had been unable to rent the property because it was too dark to rent out and that I was depriving her of thousands of pounds. I am not a property magnet, but I kind assume the estate agents would have invited prospective renters during the day time, and not in pitch black. Regardless, even without the bulbs that I had previously asked to her supply when them , only 3 of the 8 bulbs were dead.

On Monday I made a 3 hour round journey to fit the new bulbs. My tube fare was probably higher than the cost to fit the bulbs

Back to her white city property. She ordered a BO Concept unit that needs to be wall hung under the TV. They assembled the unit but refused to drill into the wall. Muggins turned up. I removed the face plates on the sockets, Up down left right. Second hole that I drilled went through a cable that was running through the wall at about 15 degrees from the horizontal and 10 inches up from the horizontal run.

I recommended that my sparky mate swings by to test the integrity of the wiring. Someone else had drilled in to a cable prior to me, but it was directly above a socket. He warned me that it may well pass regardless, so long as I had not drilled through the earth. As my mate, he said that he wants to make sure that he gets paid. He asked if I was paying, I told him that I do not think I am to blame. I suspect that she will use that as an excuse to avoid paying me for the east london job.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Walk away from her, block her number!

Andy
I black list this sort of person rather than block them.

It gives me immense satisfaction when they call or text in an hour of need.
I just don't answer, and that puts a smile on my face.

Entitled people sometimes don't realise when they have found a good one.

Yeah, I used to take great pleasure in keeping them on the system, answering their calls and then telling them exactly why I would not be serving them. Warts and all!

That shut them up!

Last Sunday, I had to go to east London. She told me that she wanted the ceilings in the lounge and master bedroom to be painted (she hadn't mentioned that when I initially gave her a fixed price for the decorating). I also had to replace the G9 bulbs in the lounge. She told me that she had previously asked me to check all of the bulbs in the property. I checked our previous messages. The only ones regarding bulbs were her responses to me mentioning that the majority of the bulbs in the hallway had died... She had a go at me for not noticing that only 1 out of 6 bulbs in the lounge worked. When I painted the lounge, it was summertime and the flat had no electricity at the time.

I turned up at 9am on Sunday. The tennant let me in. Nice fellow. He asked me what the scope of works was. Shortly after explaining, he told me that he had been told by the letting agent that I was only going to touch in a few spots and said that he was not willing to let me paint whole ceilings. I tried to reassure him that the emulsion is perfectly safe. I even invited him to sniff it. He allowed me to touch in the tiny water stain in the bedroom and the 3" crack that I filled in the lounge but said that the only very slightly dirty ceilings had no impact on his rental period. In short he was saying that he would not ask for the discount that my customer said he would ask for.

I am not the kind of person that is going to have a stand up row with a guy that the tennant says is paying 3 grand a month to stay in her flat. Based on our conversation his primary concerns were the lights in the lounge, which I sorted. And the fact that the roller blind in the main bedroom didn't work. I sorted that out. He then mentioned that the TV remote control didn't work. It had no batteries. I told him that although it was a Samsung remote, it might belong to a different Samsung TV. I went out, purchased new batteries. It still didn't work. I then used the buttons at the lower part of the screen to retune the TV and showed him how to use those buttons until she orders a new remote.

I sent her an email, pretty much explaining that the tenant was happy with the work that I had done, but that I had not repainted the whole of the two ceilings because he would not let me do so. I then put my phone in airplay mode because the battery was really low. I sent her an email from my laptop. I had a series of shouty emails. They were pretty much along the lines of "I pay you, do as I tell you, ignore the tennant and phone me if they cede to my will.

I then asked her to pay the outstanding balance on the east london job (which is all extras at this stage) she replied that she always pays on time and will pay when, erm,,, I finish the job (which is extras). To be fair, she had previously been good at paying, until she decided not to be.

I have an outstanding balance on her white city flat. I am supposed to be there tomorrow, and sunday. I think I might withdraw my labour until she pays me for east london. My tools in east London are only about £100, White City about 2 grand. Total labour/material (out standing) charges are probably about a grand.

Last Sunday, I had to go to east London. She told me that she wanted the ceilings in the lounge and master bedroom to be painted (she hadn't mentioned that when I initially gave her a fixed price for the decorating). I also had to replace the G9 bulbs in the lounge. She told me that she had previously asked me to check all of the bulbs in the property. I checked our previous messages. The only ones regarding bulbs were her responses to me mentioning that the majority of the bulbs in the hallway had died... She had a go at me for not noticing that only 1 out of 6 bulbs in the lounge worked. When I painted the lounge, it was summertime and the flat had no electricity at the time.

I turned up at 9am on Sunday. The tennant let me in. Nice fellow. He asked me what the scope of works was. Shortly after explaining, he told me that he had been told by the letting agent that I was only going to touch in a few spots and said that he was not willing to let me paint whole ceilings. I tried to reassure him that the emulsion is perfectly safe. I even invited him to sniff it. He allowed me to touch in the tiny water stain in the bedroom and the 3" crack that I filled in the lounge but said that the only very slightly dirty ceilings had no impact on his rental period. In short he was saying that he would not ask for the discount that my customer said he would ask for.

I am not the kind of person that is going to have a stand up row with a guy that the tennant says is paying 3 grand a month to stay in her flat. Based on our conversation his primary concerns were the lights in the lounge, which I sorted. And the fact that the roller blind in the main bedroom didn't work. I sorted that out. He then mentioned that the TV remote control didn't work. It had no batteries. I told him that although it was a Samsung remote, it might belong to a different Samsung TV. I went out, purchased new batteries. It still didn't work. I then used the buttons at the lower part of the screen to retune the TV and showed him how to use those buttons until she orders a new remote.

I sent her an email, pretty much explaining that the tenant was happy with the work that I had done, but that I had not repainted the whole of the two ceilings because he would not let me do so. I then put my phone in airplay mode because the battery was really low. I sent her an email from my laptop. I had a series of shouty emails. They were pretty much along the lines of "I pay you, do as I tell you, ignore the tennant and phone me if they cede to my will.

I then asked her to pay the outstanding balance on the east london job (which is all extras at this stage) she replied that she always pays on time and will pay when, erm,,, I finish the job (which is extras). To be fair, she had previously been good at paying, until she decided not to be.

I have an outstanding balance on her white city flat. I am supposed to be there tomorrow, and sunday. I think I might withdraw my labour until she pays me for east london. My tools in east London are only about £100, White City about 2 grand. Total labour/material (out standing) charges are probably about a grand.
She is correct. And i'd imagine the tenant should be perfectly capable of finding batteries for the remote, too. It's not up to the tenant to 'allow you' to check any part of the house which the landlord has earmarked for the job at hand.

Sponsored Links
Back