Nightmare Window Leak - No Mortar on Lintel, What Now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm at my wit's end with builders and contractors. We recently had a window installed, but it's leaking badly during heavy rain. The window itself seems fine, but I believe the issue lies with the lintel installation.

The builders created the opening and put in a lintel, but it looks like they didn't use any mortar to secure it (see attached photos). Ffs, I'm so frustrated with having to constantly deal with shoddy workmanship.

I guess the proper fix is to remove the window, take out the lintel, and reinstall it with mortar. But getting all the involved parties back here is going to prove difficult now that they've received their money.

Has anyone else experienced this? What are my options? Can I somehow fix this without removing the window? Any advice on dealing with the builders and getting them to take responsibility would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help!

1000064451.jpg
1000064444.jpg
1000064440.jpg

Sponsored Links
Mastic the gap between intel and brick and see if it fixes it
Can’t see any sign of a cavity tray above though, which may be a further issue

Sponsored Links
Yeah, that’s what I meant. Although it’s still a quick win for the OP to just seal that obvious gap, more likely that than some huge torrent coming down the cavity

If there's a window above then I'd be checking that for areas for water ingress, failing that check the gutter for blockage or even pushing up some roof tiles to check the condition of the felt, old bitumen that once lapped into the gutter can and will rot and that creeps upwards until the felt drops down behind the fascia and could allow water into the cavity

It's not even a proper lintel but rather 10mm thick flat steel, they'll definitely be no cavity tray because looking at the mortar above it's not been repointed so no bricks were removed, they've just chased out the mortar at each end and slid the flat steel in

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back