Notable Obituaries.

Sponsored Links
The former England cricketer and coach Graham Thorpe, one of the finest Test batters of his generation, has died at the age of 55.

Thorpe was a fluent left-handed batter – and right-handed bowler – who played precisely 100 Tests as well as 82 one-day internationals during a 12-year international career. He played a further 189 first-class matches for Surrey and in all scored 49 first-class centuries, averaging 45.04, before his retirement in 2005.

Sponsored Links
Graham Thorpe’s wife Amanda has revealed the former England batter took his own life due to depression and anxiety. Amanda Thorpe has now revealed in an interview with the Times that Thorpe attempted to take his own life two years ago before doing so earlier this month.

Graham Thorpe’s wife Amanda has revealed the former England batter took his own life due to depression and anxiety. Amanda Thorpe has now revealed in an interview with the Times that Thorpe attempted to take his own life two years ago before doing so earlier this month.

Poor woman, and so sad for Graham and all who know him.

The former England batter Graham Thorpe died after being struck by a train at a railway station in Surrey, the opening of an inquest into his death has heard. Thorpe died on the morning of 4 August having suffered “traumatic injuries” during the incident at Esher railway station, Surrey coroner’s court in Woking heard.

Yikes!

I've never heard of him either. Reminds me of when I was in a sailing club, one of the members died so we purchased a bench and arranged for a brass plaque with his name etc on it.
The company doing the plaque phoned and said they could do it for half the quoted price if we were willing to have the plaque with someone elses name on the reverse that had been rejected because of a spelling mistake or something. We agreed and of course once the plaque was screwed to the bench the other name was gone, gone but not forgotten. Every year at the annual dinner dance, we'd raise a glass and toast the chap who the bench was dedicated to, but we'd also toast the chap whose name was on other side of the plaque, whoever he was.

Sponsored Links
Back