Obscure Light Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Looking for some help please. I'm trying to figure out the wiring of the light switch in my living room.

I have 2 ceiling lights, and a single 2 gang switch. There's no 2 way switching in the room.

I'm after having each of the switches operate as a single way switch, operating one of the lights each.

The current wiring setup (which I inherited when I bought the house) I can't make head or tail of.

There's 3 cables (twin and earth) running into the back box, one cable running to one of the com ports, then there seems to be a "jumper" between the com ports. And then what you'd assume was a switch live running from each of the L1 ports.

All 3 neutrals are connected together with a block.

The challenge is that currently one of the switches is completely non functional, while the other switch operates both lights...

Pictures attached, but if anyone could help me figure out how to make this setup into a simple 2 gang, 1 way switch setup I'd be very grateful!!

20241019_152048.jpg
20241019_152101.jpg

Sponsored Links
I am not an electrician...

I would disconnect each of the reds and then determine which is the permanent live.

If for example it is the one currently going into L11, I would put it into the com, and the one in the com, I would put into L11.

But I am only guessing

A proper electrician should be along soon....

Edit- I would also consider sticking with L11 and L12

Last edited:
Just from looking only.
It might be that the conductor now connected to either L11 or L22 is in fact permanent L and should be goint to one of those com's the other two are L11 and L22 respectively

Sponsored Links
If one switch operates both lights you wont be able to individually switch them.

Just from looking only.
It might be that the conductor now connected to either L11 or L22 is in fact permanent L and should be goint to one of those com's the other two are L11 and L22 respectively
If that was right would the other switch not work when the main switch is on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back