Old lead box gutter replacememt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old lead box gutter that has splits in it and is no longer fit for purpose. What is the best thing for a diyer to replace it with? I'll already ripped out the old wood that the lead was sitting on and will be replacing that aswell.

1000025087.jpg

Sponsored Links
Why not a run of regular guttering? Have you got a pic from above ?

I'd probably look at replacing that with a commercial sized length of box guttering in galv or alu, and if I was reroofing I'd delete it entirely and run the tiling to project over the wall edge like a more regular setup

Sponsored Links
Have you got any experience of using lead replacement products to form the gutter like Rooftec Flex? Thinking it might be easier for me install as a diyer by taking off a few courses of the tiles first.

1000025145.jpg

I use Cromar leadax rather than lead.. great product but it's a lot more like code 3 in feel/pliability than code 4, though you use it in code 4 locations. You could form it into a single gutter of 10m length but you'd need to support it with something, like the existing lead. A galv or alu box would be self supporting and also have accessories like outlets which would be a bit of a pain to form in lead subs unless you're discharging into a hopper at one end

If you're willing to strip some rows you might as well strip the lot, as they look to be small faces; that would give you the oppo to repair them and re do the eaves to be more typical (50mm overhang into a regular fascia mounted gutter)

Or fit another course of slate and fit a new gutter to the outside of the brickwork. obviously there will be pipe adjustments , but I know what I would do

I can't fit another row of tiles as the butterfly roof valley discharges into the box gutter and then slopes to a lead hopper at the end. I've replaced the wall plates and am fitting a uPVC fascia. Then repairing the lead and cromapolling the whole length

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back