Open vented system, No HW, CH works fine, BAXI 80HE boiler shows Dry Fire after every restart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an open vented system with Cylinder and F&E tank in the loft. I have noticed for about 2 weeks now that the hot water has been gradually getting less hot and currently is only luke warm. I tried raising the thermostat on the cylinder which does not seem to take any effect.

I do not think (although I am fairly new to this type of system) that the problem is the 3 port diverter valve as when i crank up the termostats on the radiators and boiler kicks in I can feel the pipe is hot on both side of the A and B piping. The Grundfos || pump which is located below the diverter valve also seem to be working fine. What I noticed however is the fact that even though the pipe that feeds the coil in the cylinder is very hot the return pipe from the coil seems to be cold (this only happens when I am blasting the radiators as with CH disabled they never get even luke warm). What I also noticed is the BAXI boiler going into Dry Fire mode in any other setting apart from when I turn the heating on via valves located on the radiators. I have also a Drayton programmer downstairs that has CH and HW constantly on (a toddler in the house).

If I understand the situation the problem is most likely either an airlock or a blockage inside the coil. Am I right?

I have a manual air vent installed as you can see on the attached photo which I managed to bleed some air from. This however did not solve the problem as I can still see boiler going into Dry Fire and taps are only luke warm.

Other than that I was checking if a magnet attracts in the flow and return sections of the coil piping and I could not see this happen.

Any other ideas what I could do as the 2 ppl I contacted are busy at the moment?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-06-03 at 20.21.03 (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-06-03 at 20.21.03 (3).jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 65
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-06-04 at 08.37.55.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-06-04 at 08.37.55.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Could the boiler temperature setting be limiting the temperature? If the boiler flow temperature is lower than the cylinder stat setting, it will never reach the stat set temperature..

Sponsored Links
Could the boiler temperature setting be limiting the temperature? If the boiler flow temperature is lower than the cylinder stat setting, it will never reach the stat set temperature..
Thanks for your suggestion. I tried cranking it up on the boiler to no effect.

I tried running hot water from a downstairs tap for 10 minutes and the B pipe stays cold. No rads are on at the moment.

I noticed the pump was running quiet fast at 38W and there was definitely a lot of noise from flowing water. The water itself was luke warm but I suppose that is from the earlier CH flow as the rads were on in toddler's bedroom for 1-2 hours. Definitely not warm warm as it used to be.

Does it look like the 3 port diverter valve is gone or needs to be bled?

I tried running hot water from a downstairs tap for 10 minutes and the B pipe stays cold. No rads are on at the moment.
That’s not what I meant. I meant, put a hot water heating demand on from your programmer, then feel pipe B.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back