Opinions on this roof valley pointing

Xen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
We had a company around to repoint 6 valleys on our roof. I went up the ladders to inspect it 3 days later and it is really shoddy work - gutters full of mortar, pointing missing in some places, already breaking away in others, slipped tiles that have been pointed in without reseating them, valley narrowing to less than an inch, etc.
The company owner and his team are supposed to be coming back to rectify at the weekend but I was hoping for some opinions on what work needs to be done to correct this so he doesn't try to fob me off. I expect he'll just want to patch it, but I don't think that will cut it.
What are my rights? Personally I'd rather he didn't touch it and I hire someone else to sort it, but then I'm out of pocket. As far as I'm aware, I have to at least give him the opportunity to fix it?

Attachments

• PXL_20240826_162839502.jpg
    PXL_20240826_162839502.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 86
  • PXL_20240826_164217724.jpg
    PXL_20240826_164217724.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 77
  • PXL_20240826_162944609.jpg
    PXL_20240826_162944609.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 75
  • PXL_20240826_162846551.jpg
    PXL_20240826_162846551.jpg
    409.5 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20240826_162510986.jpg
    PXL_20240826_162510986.jpg
    569.9 KB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't say it is poor, more like terrible.... who did it, WTF Roofing ?? I would find somebody else unless he can produce the standard you want at his next attempt.

Well, that was a complete waste of money. They were perhaps relying on you not being able to inspect it.

Were they from Checkatrade, or a similar source?

Sponsored Links
Well, that was a complete waste of money. They were perhaps relying on you not being able to inspect it.

Were they from Checkatrade, or a similar source?
Yes I think he thought I wouldn't bother to check, which is odd since I sent him photos of the valleys from up a ladder originally. Seems logical I'm going to go back up and check again afterwards.

Yes, he's with Checkatrade. I haven't done a review yet.

I would find somebody else unless he can produce the standard you want at his next attempt.

This is my worry. I'm really not convinced his team have the skills to do a good job of it.

To be fair, his reviews were really good. I don't know how he's managed it. Probably people not actually seeing the quality of the work.

What's the best route to finding a good tradesman these days?

To be fair, his reviews were really good. I don't know how he's managed it. Probably people not actually seeing the quality of the work.

There are some good tradesmen that work via those Checka type sites, but yes there are lots of bodgers. There are also a lot of customers that leave good reviews because the trades person will be able to identify them. Additionally, some customers would know a good finish from a barely acceptable one.

Find one working locally, and visually confirm their work is good. When you find one, keep their details to hand, but the good guys will be busy - don't expect an instant job doing.

How much is he trying to steal from you for that mess if you don't mind saying ?

Oh dear, should be half that cost for that standard as it looks very amateurish / DIY level. Was a scaffold used or was it all ladderwork ?

All ladder work.

What annoys me is that I'm not half bad at a bit of DIY, including basic roofing. I repointed all of the verges on our old property and they were smooth as butter and still spot on years later when we sold. Since valleys are essentially rainwater channels though, I thought best pay a professional to do it! I could definitely have done a better job myself.

Indeed, ouch.

I know scaffolders that would have done a single lift for about £500 (cash). You would have been able to do yourself safely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back