outdoor bulkhead lights

Sponsored Links
I'm sure people will find your insistence on interpreting the law in your own, incorrect manner equally funny and sad.

Sponsored Links
i aint interpreting the law wrongly at all.

site transformer - site lights - not fixed - is legal and does not require any notification or permission and thats what im going to do simples.

Maybe it's just that in my day to day life I don't mix with people who look for offence when none is there.

I bet in your day to day life you don't go round calling people you have only just met TW@ or pillock to their face though?
Maybe it's just that in my day to day life I don't mix with incompetent idiots.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290399829116

are the type of lights i will be using,

What lamps come with that.
60 or 100 may shatter outside when they get wet.
rough service lamps tend to last longer

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
seems this law is an a**e
You're in good company then.

site lights are how im going these site lights are no different to me fitting bnq 12v lights to my fence, and when i say attached i mean tied with cable ties or string
Which makes them fixed.

Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

Whether notifiable or not, P1 requires that reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation of electrical installations in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installations from fire or injury.

Your proposed lash-up doesn't sound compliant.

well, over a month since the last time i looked on this web site. My first thought was 'anything new happening?, lets have a look.

Hmm, same old same old.....

Lee,

just get on with whatever you decided to do before you bothered to try to find the answer you wanted. You don't care whether you are breaking building regulation or your tenancy agreement - neither does anyone else.
You are the only person who will suffer the consequences (if any) for your non-compliant actions.
You are constantly looking to extract an answer which justifies your actions - It won't happen, for all the reasons you have been told. It just that you refuse to believe anything you are being told.

Some other contributors here are in a state of perpetual dillusion, where they write in an antagonistic/bombastic/condescending/rude/offensive manner, but when this is highlighted to them, they play the innocent, mis-understood victim.
Very sad indeed - a bit like spending christmas day on here with a contiuned, pointless rant.

O, one last thought.

Lee, after you have made a dogs dinner of the ugly lighting in your landlord's garden, why don't you fill the kitchen ceiling with a load of cosmetically pleasing downlighters aswell?

;)

This is a tricky one, if you fixed your TV on the wall in the kitchen then its an appliance and not notifiable, the lights on a plug are also technically an appliance and subject to PAT testing rather than installation testing, just asked a mate who inspects installations for a big competent persons scheme and he reckons probably not notifiable. also quite a few LABC offices are none to fussed with garden wiring (ours isn't) they probably should be but it varies from council area to council area.

tony your a sound guy, shame it cant be said for others on here.

i wernt simply gona chuck my lights up, they would of been fitted in a tidy manner, cable would of ran through flexible conduit etc, as water proof as i could get it etc.

anyway this is the end of the matter, im installing my lights and thats the way it is, also i live in a council house a very long term tennancy agreement.

i will not be dictated to by some buracratic pen pusher, in 20 years of puting pirs up, the odd bulkhead etc ive never had any problems, its just that i have never wanted to install 6 lights on one plug, thats why i came here asking if would be SAFE BEFORE i went ahead and done it.

like the vast majority and as stated before - less then 1% of diyers i suspect ask for permision etc before they install outdoor lights.

lights will be going up as planned and when the nicer weather comes in i will be laying decking and returfing my garden.

thanks to the nicer posters amoungst you, screw you to the arseholes!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back