Outside PIR floodlight question

I must admit, I was half expecting the cable to go straight down, under the render, into the cellar.

At this point, I think your only way forward, unless someone else can offer ideas - is to use a signal injector and tracer. I'm sure you will not have one, and not many electricians will possess one..
So does that mean my only solution is to buy a junction box, turn off all CU, snip the cable, terminate in the junction box, and then attach it to the wall, then turn CU back on?

And if that's the case, would something like this do the job?

Sponsored Links
Then - as I suggested - the light cable probably originates at one of the room lights.
So what's the best option in this case to be able to remove the floodlight?

If I take down the light fixture nearest it, would it give any hints, as there are 2 light fixtures in the room where the patio door is, as you can see in the first pic a couple of posts ago showing where the switches are in relation to the patio door the floodlights sits above?

Sponsored Links
Well - it has all been said.

You must have an enclosure on the wall or find the other end of the cable and disconnect it.

So would the Screwfix box linked to a couple of posts back work for having a wall mounted box to connect the wires into?

As a quick solution, yes, with the cable entering via the bottom. Longer term, then I would want to find where that neutral originates, disconnect it, and do away with that box on the wall.

Just been thinking, how would I identify if the neutral is connected behind the sockets or in one of the light fixtures?

Is there any way of detecting with a volt stick or similar if I turn on the switch for the floodlight and have everything else switched off?

I contacted a local electrician who said they can come and remove it all for a ball park £80-100 and asked about access from above, leading me to think that they suspect it may be in the light fixtures, or that he is wanting to remove the whole cable and think he can access and pull it up from above.

If you just want to make it less ugly an easy option is to replace with a smaller more discreet fitting like a small eyelid downlighter or the like.

Is there any way of detecting with a volt stick or similar if I turn on the switch for the floodlight and have everything else switched off?

Yes, with everything off except the light, and supposing a load of some sort were added, in place of that none working light - Then a clamp-meter, would be able to identify any neutrals, through which there was current flowing.

Doesn't look like anything easily identifiable on the double socket next to the patio door where the floodlight is:

20240907_134637.jpg

Doesn't look like anything easily identifiable on the double socket next to the patio door where the floodlight is:

Apologies for the recent noise, the mods seem to have silenced it for now...

The neutral, should correctly be sourced, if it has been installed properly, from the very same source and MCB, as the one which supplies the light. Which means it should be connected to the neutral, of your cellar circuit. If it is (wrongly) connected to the neutral, borrowed from a different circuit, then it is called a borrowed neutral.

The borrowed neutral, if it is borrowed, would not be obvious at the moment, due to all your circuits appearing to be fed from a single RCD, and individual MCB's. If in the future, the RCD + MCB's are upgraded to RCBO's, a combined RCD + MCB, one per circuit, then you will suffer tripping of the RCBO's, due to the borrowed neutral.

It obviously not connected to that socket, in the photo, but there is an issue with that socket - the amount of debris. The debris, might - I said might, cause a low value on an insulation test of the installation, should it become damp. Were it me, I would turn the power to the socket off, and see if I could clean it out with the hose of a vac., and maybe the use of a paint brush.

Apologies for the recent noise, the mods seem to have silenced it for now...

The neutral, should correctly be sourced, if it has been installed properly, from the very same source and MCB, as the one which supplies the light. Which means it should be connected to the neutral, of your cellar circuit. If it is (wrongly) connected to the neutral, borrowed from a different circuit, then it is called a borrowed neutral.

The borrowed neutral, if it is borrowed, would not be obvious at the moment, due to all your circuits appearing to be fed from a single RCD, and individual MCB's. If in the future, the RCD + MCB's are upgraded to RCBO's, a combined RCD + MCB, one per circuit, then you will suffer tripping of the RCBO's, due to the borrowed neutral.

It obviously not connected to that socket, in the photo, but there is an issue with that socket - the amount of debris. The debris, might - I said might, cause a low value on an insulation test of the installation, should it become damp. Were it me, I would turn the power to the socket off, and see if I could clean it out with the hose of a vac., and maybe the use of a paint brush.
The socket debris isn't a problem for me. Like I said earlier, we have only just purchased and moved into the house and doing some of the initial renovations, such as painting, flooring, and removing random things like this floodlight. Once decorated, all sockets and switches and light fixtures are going to be changed to ones we prefer and more decorative ones than the standard plastic white ones here at the moment. Therefore, all sockets and switches will have any debris and dust cleared out at that stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back