Oven Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Looking for some guidance… hopefully someone has experienced this and it’s a simple fix?

Went on holiday, turned the oven off at the RCD, came back, turned it back on, now it keeps tripping.

Any ideas what would cause this? I don’t understand why it would now trip when it’s been off?

Tried it at no temp with just the fan on and still trips. Definitely can’t replace the oven so guidance would be appreciated before i start changing out parts.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Is the oven the only thing conneted to the RCD?
Is it just a normal RCD or an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB)?
Is it an integrated oven, and/or can you easily inspect any exposed wires for damage (rodents etc.)?

Try warming the cavity up with a hairdryer.
If there is slight damage or corrosion to an oven element, some of the insulation material may absorb moisture, as it's hygroscopic; causing earth leakage and an RCD trip.
A gentle warming may help to evaporate away the moisture - but it may be a sign that the elements are on their way out.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it’s the rcd you turned off and not the mcb? If it was the rcd - then it’ll have usually turned off other circuits. Why did you turn it off, seems an odd thing to do for a holiday.

Is the oven the only thing conneted to the RCD?
Is it just a normal RCD or an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB)?
Is it an integrated oven, and/or can you easily inspect any exposed wires for damage (rodents etc.)?
It’s the only thing connected.

It’s not integrated but it is ‘sealed’ in place - I have inspected as much as I can, can’t see anything worn or damaged.

IMG_8753.jpeg

Are you sure it’s the rcd you turned off and not the mcb? If it was the rcd - then it’ll have usually turned off other circuits. Why did you turn it off, seems an odd thing to do for a holiday.

Honestly I wanted to turn as much as I could off in the house so I could get a better idea of the base load of energy consumption.

But yes, turned the MCB off not RCD.

Try warming the cavity up with a hairdryer.
If there is slight damage or corrosion to an oven element, some of the insulation material may absorb moisture, as it's hygroscopic; causing earth leakage and an RCD trip.
A gentle warming may help to evaporate away the moisture - but it may be a sign that the elements are on their way out.

I will give this a go right now and report back shortly…

So I tried warming the oven with a hair dryer, and I thought we had success then it tripped.

I put just the fan on and it tripped so I’m thinking it could be something fan related.

Probably best just to get someone in I think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back