Painting a staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Try not to laugh too much.

I wanted to paint our main staircase black and white - black treads and white risers.

Preparation took absolutely ages, as it's 100 years old and had been painted before. I worked on it for about 5 hours a day for 10 days.

So I used Ronseal knot block/primer/undercoat (2 coats) then the plan was to paint the treads with Blackfriar anti-slip floor paint.

The main issue was to do with the fact that the staircase is in constant use - I have 2 teenage kids, 3 cats and 3 dogs. Pet hair gets everywhere !

Now, the Blackfriar paint has this info:
Hard Dry4 - 6 hours at 20ºc
Recoatable16 hours

Thus I assumed that if I painted it late at night, it would be fine in the morning. Wrong !!! I don't know what "Hard Dry" actually means but I assumed it could take light traffic the next morning. In reality, it took 5 days to become OK to walk on. In the meantime the surface was very tracky and gathered pet hair. Keeping the pets themselves away wasn't too hard, but we had to literally climb up or down the banisters/handrail/string, so as to not touch the treads, after 2 days of that I had to abandon the idea because not only was it a bit dangerous (and difficult) to climb, but it was a colossal pain in the neck!. It all had to come off again, and I'm now in the process of redoing it, this time with different paint:

2 coats of primer/undercoat (recoatable after a couple of hours), 3 coats of Ronseal Diamond Hard floor paint (recoatable after 4 hours) and then 3 coats of Smith and Rodger Rocktop Multi-surface Clearcoat - which is recoatable after 2 hours. I worked on 2 steps at a time and I built a "stair protector" out of Plywood and 2x2 timber which rests on the tread above the one being painted, and has 3 legs (just on one side) that sit on the tread below. Although the paint seems touch dry after a few hours, I am keeping the protector on for 24 hours and then covering the finished treads with 2 layers of pallet-wrap cling film.

RL

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately if the staircase is in use you'll need to use quick dry paint.
Ronseal diamond hard is ok not the best but if you don't walk on it with shoes it will last a couple of decades.
I recently repainted a customer's staircase I did in 2010 with ronseal and to be honest it didn't need repainting, but she thought so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back