Parquet Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm laying new parquet in my house, and want to prepare for the next steps. I've got 27m2 of new oak parquet down. The supplier recommended Lecol 7500 as a filler before finishing.
it's my first attempt, so I ended up with some gaps. No need to twist the knife here please, after all the hard work seeing them is enough punishment.
Lecol is quite dear, 5L are £62 retail, but they come only in 0.8L and 5L. Given the the sqm and gaps you can see here, what's you estimate for how much I need.
Is there another product you can recommend that's cheaper?

I'm planning to varnish as a finish if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Wolfgang

Attachments

• Parquet_IMG_20240826_141700.jpg
    Parquet_IMG_20240826_141700.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
It looks a good effort to me, probably start with the smallest quantity.

Do you mean the gaps around the edge of the skirting board?
Cork expansion strips usually do the job. (y)

No, the gaps in the that second row. Maybe I'm too harsh on myself. I was going to leave the expansion gap clear, as the skirting will cover that. (10mm skirting, a few wonky walls, so in spots increasing to 17mm, but that should still be enough for the skirting)

Sponsored Links
No expert but I would go for the smaller.
What do Lecol say? A litre is a reasonable sized tin.
Pretty use that you mix the filler with sawdust. So that would bulk it out?

From memory, when a pro refinished mine, he mixed fine sanding dust with the filler and then sanded the whole lot again.
He used a spatula like aplicator

I've done done a few parquet floors for myself all with reclaimed blocks which obvious require more filling.
Have found the Lecol 7500 excellent when mixed with fine sanding dust as above it goes off quickly!
£60 Compared to what you will have already spent is almost lose change.
Having lived with finished timber floors for many years I really wouldn't use varnish the osmo wax oils are excellent great finish and easy to maintain.

I've ordered 5L. Happy to report back how much I end up using if that's useful.
Tigercubrider, yes application is after initial sanding to flatten the floors with a flexible spatula.
Exedon, I've already ordered vanish, but I'm curious why you advocate Hardwax oil? Is it for aesthetic reasons, resistance to spills, ease of repair or something else?

Exedon, I've already ordered vanish, but I'm curious why you advocate Hardwax oil? Is it for aesthetic reasons, resistance to spills, ease of repair
All of the above plus easily to apply wears far better .
I've had timber flooring for 40 odd years used everything from Bourne seal back in the day through polyurethane varnish.
Osmo wax oil better in every way .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back