Part exchanging my van

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of part exchanging my Vauxhall Combo, it's worth about £2000.

It needs about £500 worth of repairs;

- needs new drive belt
- both rear road springs need replacing
- needs a dent sorting

Will a dealer pick up on these and knock £500 off my price, or not worry about the repairs and give me my £2000, or close to it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
He'll certainly pick up on the dent, will ask about the van's mot status, and may ask about the timing belt....has he already offered you 2k?
If you are buying a brand new van, this one will just be traded on, and he'll make the profit on the new sale.
John :)

Thanks Burnerman.

It's a large Vauxhall dealership. He glanced at it and said £2000, but in the last week something went wrong on it and the mechanic at a local garage pointed out the additional problems.

I'm wondering whether to get all the repairs fixed and take my time looking for a new van and maybe sell it privately, or part ex if I can get away with not getting the bits done.

Any advice would be great.

I think the technique here is to play the dimwit a bit, really....its not a good idea to tell lies about the vehicle, (that could come back to haunt) but its also not a good idea to admit to new faults either.....
I'd go back to the salesman, say that you've really been impressed by the way you've been treated, :p and would like to close the deal as previously offered....stressing of course that from now onward you are broke and no more cash is available - but you'd really like metallic paint. Say that your van condition hasn't changed since the last time he saw it and you think its been a good product and thats why you are back to Vauxhall.
Let him find any new faults....if he asks about the timing belt etc say you've no real idea but the vans been running fine.
He'll then blether on about finance deals (thats up to you, that one) but say you'll think it over, and ignore extra warranty deals, recovery, glossy finishes etc - thats just another way of stinging you.
When the time is right, say your happy about the trade in price, and the price of the new vehicle and ask if you can shake hands on it.....
Job done!
John (aka B. Ullshitter :) )

Sponsored Links
Back