Party wall dispute

The external extension was already previously approved two years ago by a previous owner so he is using those. The internal wall and chimneys are separate jobs, so presumably he thinks he thinks he can get away without permissions for those.

Sponsored Links
Is there specific law I can quote on this?
The Party Wall Act 1996.

If no notice is served, apply for an injunction which will stop the works until the PWA is followed. Costs will be recoverable from the neighbour.

This work should require the permission of the landlord building owner. Enquire with them what permission has been applied for and given. Remind them of their responsibilities and liabilities under your contract and common law.

Thank you, I had already quoted the PW Act but he was insisting the work didn't fall under that so I figured it was time to quote specific lines in the law!

Will definitely speak to the freeholder this week too.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I had already quoted the PW Act but he was insisting the work didn't fall under that so I figured it was time to quote specific lines in the law!

Will definitely speak to the freeholder this week too.

Is the chimney stack being removed, a shared one?

What a nightmare. From my dipping in and out reading over the years removing chimney breast undermines the structural integrity of period buildings. I know people do it though. It's the equivalent of filing down your own teeth to put on veneers. Looks good, but based on making irreparable damage first. But what do I know....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back