Permanent live for a bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have a extractor fan that goes off when the light is turned off, if I upgraded to a unit that stayed on after the light is switched off could I get a permanent live from a nearby shaver socket please? All wiring would be outside the room.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the shaver socket on the same circuit as the light and fan ?
Have you checked the wiring at the light position,there may be a permanent live present there ?

if the extractor fan switched live goes to the light switch or to an accessible place in the ceiling -say the loft or light rose, then could you not just move the fan live feed from switched to permanent live

if the extractor fan switched live goes to the light switch or to an accessible place in the ceiling -say the loft or light rose, then could you not just move the fan live feed from switched to permanent live
No he can’t. The timer fan needs switched live, permanent live and neutral.

Sponsored Links
It is usual to get the Permanent Live, and the Switched Live, and the Neutral and Earth, from the ceiling rose of the bathroom light.

In UK wiring this is where they are usually present, though they might all be at the light switch, or more rarely in some other junction box.

Normally to feed the Fan you'd have a three core an earth. The Fan I have doesn't require an Earth so it is folded back inside the fan and taped up.

Last edited:
If the fan you are installing doesn't require an Earth I see no reason why you couldn't utilise that conductor as a permanent live as long as it's sleeved appropriately at both ends.
You can only do that with flexible cable where the (green&yellow) conductor is insulated throughout its length; not with twin and earth.

If the fan you are installing doesn't require an Earth I see no reason why you couldn't utilise that conductor as a permanent live as long as it's sleeved appropriately at both ends.
Not permitted. That's cowboy advice.

A live conductor must be insulated and sleeved. The (bare) cpc in the cable is not insulated. Also, earth needed or not, the cable must contain a cpc.

Well, seeing as I don’t understand but appreciate your replies, I will leave this one to the experts, or install one that goes off with the light (like for like).

If you have access to the ceiling, for example in a loft above, it will be pretty simple to wire it to the ceiling rose.

Hi, what about a humidistat extractor? These seem to come on and off automatically so won’t need wiring it to the light?

Hi, what about a humidistat extractor? These seem to come on and off automatically so won’t need wiring it to the light?
He would still need a permanent 'live', just as he would for a lighting-controlled timer fan, whereas he seemingly currently only has a switched 'live'. The only difference is that for a humidistat-controlled fan he would need only a permanent 'live' (plus neutral), whereas with a timer fan he would need both a permanent 'live' and a switched 'live'.

Hence, if he could find a source for the permanent live, with a humidistat fan he might be able to use the existing 2-core (plus earth) cable, whereas a timer fan would require 3-core (plus earth) cable.

Kind Regards, John

Hi, would this junction box that serves my 2 shaver plugs (in 2 different bathrooms) provide what I need please?

Attachments

• 20230222_181355.jpg
    20230222_181355.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 238

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back