Permanent live for a bathroom extractor fan

Sponsored Links
Yea, looks shoddy don’t it, this is how it was hiding behind the wall, probably from new build in 1995

Hi, would this junction box that serves my 2 shaver plugs (in 2 different bathrooms) provide what I need please?
Maybe.

Depends what's inside it.

The sticky tape is a sign of poor workmanship.

Have you got a multimeter?

Sponsored Links
The sticky tape is a sign of poor workmanship.
It could be 'worse' than that. There is an ominous 'bulge' within the tape (connector block or somesuch?), and it looks as if conductors from the top-left cable are 'entering the tape' without their outer sheath!

Kind Regards, John

I will tidy that up and whack a maintenance free box on. I should only need a live and neutral from here as I am not wiring to the light switch and the fan has a sensor on thatvwill turn it on and off. Is my plan sound please?

I will tidy that up and whack a maintenance free box on. I should only need a live and neutral from here as I am not wiring to the light switch and the fan has a sensor on thatvwill turn it on and off. Is my plan sound please?

Take a switched live as well, for when you find out that sensors are not as good as you hoped.

Take a switched live as well, for when you find out that sensors are not as good as you hoped.
I don't think that he'll find a 'switched live' (I imagine you mean 'switched by lighting') at a JB serving two "shaver plugs"!

Kind Regards, John

Live (sic) and neutral and earth. the cable will need a CPC, even if the fan doesn't need one.

Is that a movement or a humidity sensor?
Technically to each point in wiring and at each accessory. It's not the cable which requires it. (Otherwise how would singles be used?)

Hi, would this junction box that serves my 2 shaver plugs (in 2 different bathrooms) provide what I need please?
There is little correct about how that has been terminated, including things as basic as the junction box not being secured to the building fabric and cables not clipped entering it. (Also obviously the sheath not entering the enclosure etc.)

I’ve found a better looking one lower down the wall which I will use instead of the other, I will leave that one be.

I have bought some twin and earth 1.5mm cable which I will attach to the unction box and then up through to the loft and into the new fan, does this sound like a plan please?

What are the numbers for on the junction box please?

Attachments

• B0B5CB94-31C3-4105-B054-0F197C7A381B.jpeg
    B0B5CB94-31C3-4105-B054-0F197C7A381B.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 48
What are the numbers for on the junction box please?
They indicate how you should rotate the lid/cover so as to 'unblank entry holes in the side, depending upon whether there are 2, 3 or 4 cables entering the box.

As previously said, that type of JB is only acceptable if it is 'accessible'. It also needs to be screwed down to something, and all cables entering it should be clipped to something fairly close to the box.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back