PIR walls insulation loose...nightmare

Standard (10mm) with the new rebated PIR. Very expensive but equivalent to full fill. It matters not whether the blockwork or brickwork (internal/external) is built first. We've been fitting it for 18 months now.
You are required to fit DPC at corners and rebates.

Read more
Does that mean it doesn’t matter if there’s not a clear gap between outer skin and PIR then?

Sponsored Links
Does that mean it doesn’t matter if there’s not a clear gap between outer skin and PIR then?
Correct. 10mm is a joke. Nothing in terms of a meaningful gap. A slight internal bulge from the mortar on either leaf and its compromised. The idea is that it is full fill and the 10mm is just a fitting gap.

You can't use any old PIR. It has to be the dedicated rebated gear and the use of DPC is essential.

Costs a soddin fortune though.

Fix new insulation on the inside of the inside walls, prior to plastering, at your builder's expense.
That's an option. But... 1st floor and loft boarded, plastered, painted and tiles in bathroom :(
I was hoping that with expanding foam (or any other product) in cavities (through drilled holes across the existing plater boards and inner aerated blocks) could have been an options.

Correct. 10mm is a joke. Nothing in terms of a meaningful gap. A slight internal bulge from the mortar on either leaf and its compromised. The idea is that it is full fill and the 10mm is just a fitting gap.

You can't use any old PIR. It has to be the dedicated rebated gear and the use of DPC is essential.

Costs a soddin fortune though.
"A slight internal bulge from the mortar on either leaf and its compromised" I agree.
But they used standard PIT (not rebated)

Sponsored Links
Initially he said the insulation would not meet 0.18, then I showed calculations from ecotherm with u-value = 0.17. That's when he said the calcs are irrelevant because the boards were not installed as per ecotherm instructions.
Sounds like he didn’t like you questioning him on u values so he became a complete arze

The trouble is, there won't be a calculated test result for rectifying what you have, so it's really what your BCO will accept as a remedial fix. Will he accept foam injection? Is that actually practical , can you find someone to do the work and warranty it? What Insulation would he accept internally? Take the external skin down and recitify? You need to do some research, do some number crunching and put forward one or two proposals that you can back up.

The trouble is, there won't be a calculated test result for rectifying what you have, so it's really what your BCO will accept as a remedial fix. Will he accept foam injection? Is that actually practical , can you find someone to do the work and warranty it? What Insulation would he accept internally? Take the external skin down and recitify? You need to do some research, do some number crunching and put forward one or two proposals that you can back up.
I agree. Using ecotherm calculator online or even the one at changeplan doesn't help as these tools can't cope with my situation.
I am planning to call ecotherm technical team tomorrow, maybe they will have an option for me and do calculations with internal insulation addition for my case.
I am looking for an egineer/architect/surveyor to help me put together a proposal... because Mr. LBOC will not entertain any proposal coming driectly from me... but that's also proving difficult.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back