Planning/ Building reg breach?

"The council" is made up of several departments and you're contacting the wrong one.

Try the environmental protection department for their powers under noise, nuisance, public safety and usage laws. The revenue department for rates, and charges. Building control for construction and fire and public safety.

Those teams should then deal with the planning department.

And your local fire service has the best/instant powers for closing down a non compliant business.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps something to consider, is to check the Land Registry to check who is the mortgage company. They could be notified that they are running a business which would be a breach of their mortgage. But you should document and build up evidence over a decent period of time

Well the PT gym has been operating for over two years now, and the LPA still hasn’t made a retrospective decision. They seem either unable or unwilling to take action, effectively allowing an unlawful business to continue. During this time, the number of customers has increased, with the gym often open from 7am to 9pm and hosting around 10 customers per day. I’m at my wit’s end and have concluded that my so called neighbour will do whatever he wants regardless. I no longer have any faith or trust in the council.
His house insurance will be invalid

Sponsored Links
"The council" is made up of several departments and you're contacting the wrong one.

Try the environmental protection department for their powers under noise, nuisance, public safety and usage laws. The revenue department for rates, and charges. Building control for construction and fire and public safety.

Those teams should then deal with the planning department.

And your local fire service has the best/instant powers for closing down a non compliant business.
Given what I know now, I completely agree with you. Regarding the planning, the applicant has made misleading statements and defamatory remarks about us. Although the council eventually removed these from the application, they did not take responsibility for publishing them.

The issue with this type of business is that noise related activies can be easily manipulated one way or the other. I would be happier if they imposed conditions to limit noise & reduce the number of customers but they seem unable or unwilling to do so.
Soon be November 5th!

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Andy
Yeah, I wish a firework would go astary overnight. :LOL:
Perhaps something to consider, is to check the Land Registry to check who is the mortgage company. They could be notified that they are running a business which would be a breach of their mortgage. But you should document and build up evidence over a decent period of time
He is mortgage free, but I do know that there is restrictive covenant which states no business should be run from the property. From a planning point of view this is not a reason to stop it apparantley.

I'm also limited in what evidence I can give to the council I can't video or record the noise, I can't use a decibel meter app so I used his public domain social media used for advertising which showed evidence of noise related activies.

His house insurance will be invalid
I expect his business insurance will also be invalid if he has any due to having no planning permission & probably no building regs, fire safety or health & safety compliance etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back