Plastic fittings

No, but still no reply to the situation I suggested

What reply are you expecting?
The one about idiots who mix pipe and insert manufacturers.

I could mention the naive people who believe everythig in manufacturers blurb without using some FCS - flipping common sense.

Sponsored Links
15mm OD plastic (PEX, PB) is 15mm. There is nothing on one manufacturer's outer surface to make another manufacturer's grip and O rings not sit correctly on the pipe.?

Yes I am well aware that the pipe is to BS, but the fittings are all different in the way they work.

Some have the seal first some have the grab ring first so they don't all sit on the pipe at the same point. Some inserts have a very small lip others have an extra seal on the end giving them a bigger lip, this effects the length of pipe that is inserted into the fitting, so influences where the grip and seal sit.

As to the "Typical Situation" that you seem to keep swerving. You mix components, fitting blows off causing a huge amount of damage. You return all components, the faulty item is made by Hepworth who won't pay out because they state components should not be mixed, Speedfit and Polypipe don't want to know because it wasn't one of their components that was faulty.

Are you happy to pay out potentially thousands of pounds to repair the damage rather than do the job right in the first place?

No, the one about the idiots who mix fittings - Full Stop

OK let's say it was a Speedfit fitting with Hep2o pipe and Hep2o insert (both the same manufacturer that you suggest is ok) and it was identified as a faulty Hepworth Component.
Would Speedfit pay out, no because It wasn't their item that was faulty
Would Hepworth pay out, no because you have mixed the system
Would Mr Plumber pay out, I hope you have deep pockets

Sponsored Links
asked polypipe this they said...

Yes our fittings will work with all pipe brands (use their insert though) but we wont honor any warranty claims.

As said if all can be used with copper they can all be used with each other.

ONE THIS THOUGH I would not ever use JG super seal inserts as they add 4-5mm to the end of the pipe which could effect the position of grab rings/o-rings on some systems. Jg do produce normal inserts though with no extra rubber seals.

I personal dont do it but wouldnt think it would be an issue if you did. I if useing a mixture of fitting transition between them with copper.

ps we used to pressure test all brands pipework with JG stop ends as they are easy to remove (osma gold to 18bar!!!) never had one come off.

pps shower pumps such as Salamander come with John guest push fit connections yet do not mention having to use john guest pipework???? Just a thought ;)

No, the one about the idiots who mix fittings - Full Stop

Methinks you are losing the plot. Perhaps you ought to have included the whole post.

BTW, you forgot the full stop after "Full Stop".

Would Mr Plumber pay out, I hope you have deep pockets
Are you now suggesting the plumber is using left over fittings the householder is handing over him?

Forget hypothesis, you seem to be confusing yourself.

Not losing the plot at all, my stance has not changed one bit.

As said on previous posts "you shouldn't mix fitting / inserts / pipe" there are numerous design differences between the fittings and the way they work. Some are Seal first Grip second others are Grip first Seal second. Some have an all metal grab ring others are plastic and metal, there are differences in both the design and materials of the inserts. There are so many variables.

I should know I have been involved with product design and development for the best part of 10 years.

As for the "Deep Pockets" comment, it was tongue in cheek because you as an "alleged" plumber had openly said that it was ok to use brand A fitting with pipe and insert from brand B. I have quite clearly shown a senariao where you wouldn't be able to claim from either of the manufacturers, therefore would have to fork out yourself for any damage / repairs.

System warranties are upto 50 years for faulty product, so why would you risk such a problem to save a couple of quid.

I know all about contra claims. I've been dealing with them for 40 years.
Like the Boss Green brigade who insist on a dollop of BG on compression joints - then wonder why the DVC doesn't work. "It's clogged up with gunk, sir, the same gunk that's on all the threads."

You are still harping on about the different configurations for O rings and gripper rings. 15mm Cross-linked Polyethylene/Polybutylene is 15mm so there should be no more problems by using pipe A, insert A and fitting B than with using pipe, insert and fitting A.
If you've been designing this stuff for 10 years give us some examples of which configurations will fail - and why.

As said on previous posts "you shouldn't mix fitting / inserts / pipe"
There are also umptydozen threads which refer to using the correct inserts and the install being OK.

I have never ALLEGED to be a plumber!
I have never advocated using anything other than the pipe manufacturer's inserts!
Not too good with facts, are you.

Who offers a 50 year warranty?

BTW, scenario is spelt s-c-e-n-a-r-i-o.

yawn.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back