Please help me figure out plug socket options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1719846768160.png

I'm hoping to convert this into either one or two plug sockets

these were previously connected to an old boiler, which was inside the now demolished cupboard

Ideally I would like to re-route the wires in terminal "B" to my bedroom to create a plug socket in there, and use the terminal "A" to create a plug socket in the position it is in picture

It would be great to know if any part of this plan is possible.

Please see below pic for close up of the wiring:

1719846914528.png

Attachments

• 1719846219577.png
    1719846219577.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 22
Sponsored Links
It may be possible, but not a DIY job, it seems to be using the conduit as the earth, and that earth could be easily lost, so it will need testing, and the test gear is too expensive to be worthwhile doing as a DIY job.

With Item A, the moment you have loosened off that faceplate, you have lost the earth connection. It is a far better job to run a short length of earth wire between the metal back box, and the faceplate.

Not sure what Item B actually does, or did.

Assuming you will be disconnecting the outgoing flex at Item A, you could 'probably' connect a relatively unlimited number of socket from the load side terminals, with a 13 amp fuse fitted.

Of course, it all needs testing and looking at properly before you do anything.

Sponsored Links
If your fuseboard is of a similar vintage to that installation there, then no sockets can be added until RCD protection is added.

And as others have said, if you want to alter that, you will need someone with the equipment to work with steel conduit

Agreed, there is no need to continue in steel conduit just because the existing is in steel conduit.

There *IS* however, a need to validate that there is a usable earth and fix the situation if not. That means not just making a solid connection at the current box, but inspecting the rest of the circuit.

There is also a need to validate the circuit more generally, is there enough spare capacity for the new loads you plan to add? (the fact there are two cables in the box suggests that the boiler is not the only thing on the circuit). Is the overcurrent protection suitable for the cable size? (I suspect the wire may be imperial sized, which may make working this out harder) Is there RCD protection? (probablly not if the supply has the same vintage as the

There *should* be a flylead from that box to the FCU and there isn't one. When you see one corner cut, IMO you need to assume that others may have been cut too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back