please look

ayy check H&S, :D States there 25kg is the maximum load one person is to handle :p

Sponsored Links
Hmm, very strange the tutor said 25kg is the maximum any more than that you have to get help.

Even got a handout about it.

FWL_Engineer can you give me a reference to where it states different; my copy may be out of date or fulse.

i have to agree with carlos, my h & s assement book (ECS031/5 april 2003)

Q 2.13 says what is the recomended limit for a compact load that can be safely carried by a fit male worker?

it also gives the answers and says 25 kg, is in the HSE guidelines, and relates to lifting at hip / stomach height

Sponsored Links
What the HSE ACTUALLY say is that

no person should be EXPECTED to lift anything heavier than 25kg alone or without mechanical assistance, however the actual weight limit for a person must be assessed by that person as being the maximum weight they feel comfortable lifting from floor level and being able to carry 10 meters without undue stress or hardship

So for anyone to claim that 25Kg is a legal limit is horse manure. If anyone doubts this, I suggest you telephone the HSE directly. This is something that is often misquoted by the ill-informed.

as i said that is what it says in my book, i guess we will have to disgree (again)

kendor
with a name like Carlos(s) please don't mention Bombs, ask Bob!

It's Carl Actually :)
Sorry about the pun i was JACKALing around :LOL: you should still ask bob what he calls his plumb though!

no person should be EXPECTED to lift anything heavier than 25kg alone or without mechanical assistance, however the actual weight limit for a person must be assessed by that person as being the maximum weight they feel comfortable lifting from floor level and being able to carry 10 meters without undue stress or hardship
I would interpret that to mean that no employer must expect (i.e. request or require) an employee to lift more than the lesser of

1) 25kg

2) The weight the employee feels comfortable lifting from floor level and being able to carry 10 meters without undue stress or hardship.

It's the carrying part which is the real killer. My welder weighs, from memory, 50-60kg, it is about as compact as anything weighing that much can be unless made from collapsed matter, and has two very sturdy handles with which to lift it. I have no problem lifting it enough to get it into the boot of a car. But carry it 10m? No 'kin way......

Agreed with Ban, If you were carrying out a Manual Handling Assessment you would also have to take the gender of the person into consideration also the possibility that person could be pregnant the weight would have to be down rated considerably, if they were allowed to carry anything at all! (depending on how far term they had gone)

Hehe,

Well various sources suggest different recommendations on lifting weight limits.

The only conclusion I can come to is common sense :)

I also found this web site rather useful:
click me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back