Plumbers/heating engineers- is this standard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have heating engineers in for quite a large job. Prior to this we've had a few other reasonably major jobs done including removal of an old vented copper cylinder to unvented (different company).

On both occasions some old parts which I would not consider waste, have been removed. With the cylinder, my old copper one was removed without being asked if I wanted it to sell it myself. This time around, my magnaclean and 2 year old £170 circulator pump have been removed. My 28mm gate valves, which were not cheap, again taken.

I presume the cylinder was sold, and my pump, magnetic filter and gate valves will be reused, but I really think I should be asked which bits of my property I am willing to forego. What has properly taken the pee with the latest lot is that they've installed a used thermostat controller with the ashp without my consent (with this being specifically spec'd and priced in the original quote)- which didn't even work so now has delayed job completion again and we do not have a properly working heating system yet.

Sponsored Links
On both occasions some old parts which I would not consider waste, have been removed. With the cylinder, my old copper one was removed without being asked if I wanted it to sell it myself. This time around, my magnaclean and 2 year old £170 circulator pump have been removed. My 28mm gate valves, which were not cheap, again taken
Most people would expect and be glad the waste was removed.

In the context of a job worth say £5,000 it’s not worth quibbling over £50

Plumbers do collect up copper and brass scrap, save it up over the year and then take it to the scrap dealer, but these days you have to be registered, the money has to be paid into the business account and declared. Over a year I believe a plumber might earn about £800 to £1200, but given the effort of taking it away, storing it, then taking it to sell….it’s not much really.

installed a used thermostat controller with the ashp without my consent
Used or just one not in the box?

It's a £14k job, and yes I expect to be asked as it is my property. Perhaps I should round down the invoice by £50 and see if they mind.

Thermostat + hub- not in box. Looks dirty/used. It is just obvious when something isn't new. No instruction manual. A really old version no longer available. Oh...and it didn't work.

Its implicit in the contract that they will remove old materials, including pipes, unless you specifically agree that the items are to be retained, or offset in the job price. They make some money from selling the copper as scrap when the price is right.

Sponsored Links
Its implicit in the contract that they will remove old materials, including pipes, unless you specifically agree that the items are to be retained, or offset in the job price. They make some money from selling the copper as scrap when the price is right.
What contract? An implied one?

Most people would expect and be glad the waste was removed.

In the context of a job worth say £5,000 it’s not worth quibbling over £50

Plumbers do collect up copper and brass scrap, save it up over the year and then take it to the scrap dealer, but these days you have to be registered, the money has to be paid into the business account and declared. Over a year I believe a plumber might earn about £800 to £1200, but given the effort of taking it away, storing it, then taking it to sell….it’s not much really.

Used or just one not in the box?
Therein lies the problem as the OP did not consider the parts as waste and whether they are £50 or not it is his/her £50 not theirs especially when it was not agreed and they are clearly making very good money on a job of that size. Personally i would have clarified with the customer what they want to keep as people are much more savvy about what parts cost nowadays and do not like to feel they are being ripped off by having valuable reusable parts being removed and kept when they can sell them on themselves via eBay etc... The moral of this story is to be clear about what the quote entails and make it known who is to "dispose" of the leftovers.

Where are you going to take "your copper" ? The plumber, who will have a waste disposal license is going to take it to the scrap yard in his van, where he will have an account so that any money received from the sale "your" copper will be paid into his bank account. He will then be taxed on that at a rate of 40%.

Where are you going to take "your copper" ? The plumber, who will have a waste disposal license is going to take it to the scrap yard in his van, where he will have an account so that any money received from the sale "your" copper will be paid into his bank account. He will then be taxed on that at a rate of 40%.
I don't mind about copper pipe. What I do mind is components that are worth quite a bit of money and assumed ownership rights seem to come into play. As above, I didn't consider these items waste and I wasn't asked, and certainly the cylinder I could have made a fair bit off Ebay.

Did you specify what they could or could not take?

In my estimates I state that the cost incorporates the removal of metals and rubbish. And that this will be either recycled or disposed of with responsibility. I also have my waste carriers licence printed at the header of the estimate.
However recycling materials such as cardboard will be left for the local authority bin collection.

You really should have stated before you got the quote/estimate that these items remain in you possession.

This of course could have affected the price you received.

Did you specify what they could or could not take?

In my estimates I state that the cost incorporates the removal of metals and rubbish. And that this will be either recycled or disposed of with responsibility. I also have my waste carriers licence printed at the header of the estimate.
However recycling materials such as cardboard will be left for the local authority bin collection.

You really should have stated before you got the quote/estimate that these items remain in you possession.

This of course could have affected the price you received.
Nothing in the quote/contract covers this.

Customer to ask or professional tradesperson to specify that they are going to remove valuable parts for their benefit? I just assumed I’d get to keep a pump that cost almost £200. But this thread is an eye opener for sure to read into the mentality of some tradespeople.

Thanks all- I’ll sign out now

Sponsored Links
Back